Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ idles when cranked but won't run

nik_m86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
So my VZ wouldn't run this morning. At first I thought it was being funny because of the cold weather but it just wouldnt run. It would idle if i held the key in the crank position but as soon as I let the key go back to run it would cut out. I tried this a few times, but couldnt get it working and was running late so drove the missus' car today.

It drove fine last night and theres about half a tank of fuel in there. The battery is getting low but this doesnt seem like a battery problem. Thought it might be the CAS but that doesnt explain the idling when the key is cranked.

Anyone come across this problem before?

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
this could be one problem causing another. Failing batteries can cause some very odd problems in these. One problem been fuel gauges reading incorrecly. Ide check you actually have fuel. Can you hear the fuel pump prime at all?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you recently started the engine when it was cold and didn't allow it to warm up at all, sometimes (SOMETIMES) this can cause the engine management system to 'malfunction' causing the engine to flood (too much fuel being delivered not allowing combustion). To overcome this firstly disconnect the battery for a short time - perhaps 5 - 10 minutes (resets the computer), then with a fully charged battery - perhaps even another battery connected (to supply lots of cranking power - you might need it) commence starting the engine, hold the key in the start position (don't use accelerator) until the engine fires and runs. It may run very roughly initially and blow lots of black smoke out of the exhaust. If the engine does fire gently apply accelerator and raise engine revs to say 1500 or until engine runs smoothly. If this doesn't work you may have other problems. Good luck.

nik_m86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Thanks for the replies

I added fuel yesterday so i'm sure there's some in the tank and yes I can hear it prime.
I will try disconnecting the battery tonight and update here.
Also have thought it may be as simple as a dodgy connection between the key and the ignition sensor. I'll clean up the key and the sensor and hope that sorts it.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
If you recently started the engine when it was cold and didn't allow it to warm up at all, sometimes (SOMETIMES) this can cause the engine management system to 'malfunction' causing the engine to flood (too much fuel being delivered not allowing combustion). To overcome this firstly disconnect the battery for a short time - perhaps 5 - 10 minutes (resets the computer), then with a fully charged battery - perhaps even another battery connected (to supply lots of cranking power - you might need it) commence starting the engine, hold the key in the start position (don't use accelerator) until the engine fires and runs. It may run very roughly initially and blow lots of black smoke out of the exhaust. If the engine does fire gently apply accelerator and raise engine revs to say 1500 or until engine runs smoothly. If this doesn't work you may have other problems. Good luck.

hi, i had this problem and had to change the plugs too