Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Ignition and cut out problem

anas1717

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ 06
Good day,

I have a Holden Commodore VZ 2006 which is sold in the Middle East under the name of Chevrolet Lumina, i have searched the forum (and i do whenever i have any problems with my vehicle) and thought of posting this as most of the solutions proposed did not workout.

Please watch this video of my car while ignition :

VZ ignition problem - YouTube

I will summarize in points :

1- The check powertrain error is the O2 sensors (Both banks) this was in my car for the last three years and is not related to current issue, this has only started to happen last month.

2- The SRS error is not related to this issue as well, it has been in my car for a long time.

3- You may notice that the car started in the 4th time, this was because if i want the car to start i need to push the throttle pedal, you may notice that while i'm revving the vehicle stays one, once i stop and the RPM goes down to idle it cuts out.

4- i need to keep revving for 30-40 seconds and then move the car

5- this mostly happens when the car is left for 20 Mins - 7 Hours , usually if i turn the car off and start in less than 20 Mins, things will be normal, also if i left the car for over 7 hours and then try to start, things are normal

6- No error codes apart from the O2 sensors.

7- I have installed a new battery, changed oil, gearbox oil, and all possible minor things were tried.

8- According to the mechanic, who told me that he is only guessing now as no error codes are coming up, Fuel pump is OK, i can support that as the car does the same with the full tank of gas, and even with an almost empty gas tank things were the same, also he claims that CAS is OK as it usually gives error codes when faulty, and the car won't start at all if this was the problem

9- The car cuts out while driving at random times, most noticed that after strong brakes, bumps, sometimes after hard turns.

10- at Idle RPM (600 RPM) the car sometimes shakes as if it is going to stall, sometimes it does, and sometimes the engine revs back by itself so the car won't cut out, if the AC is on, RPM goes to around 650 and it stops shaking.

11- The mechanic claims that it is mostly vacuum issue, one time when we were trying with the VCM software, it gave an error code of " Throttle Position Sensor Low voltage (Both Sensors) he said that he found the problem and we changed the TPS with a brand new one, but nothing changes.

12- He said that coils and sparks are OK, i have my doubts in that as i read in many threads that coils can cause similar symptoms.

13- He tried disconnecting the MAF sensor, we previously tried to clean it, but things did not change, after disconnecting it, we felt that the car was behaving better, especially at idle, but the problem still exists, one thing that i noticed since we disconnected the MAF, the car has not cut out while driving, i don't know if this has solved the cut off while driving issue, it has been two days now and no cuts while driving, the ignition problem still exists though

I have many other details and other video for the car, but i wish that VZ experts can at least initially diagnose this for me so i can elaborate more on what i did, this car has costed me a small fortune, spare parts are sold here for crazy prices compared to what can be found on the internet, thank you in advance for any comment or suggestion.

WL2005HBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 WL Statesman HBD
Sounds like O2 sensor issues plus idle cut out unless you rev it = issues with the car running in open loop mode

anas1717

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ 06
Sounds like O2 sensor issues plus idle cut out unless you rev it = issues with the car running in open loop mode

Thanks for the reply, O2 sensors were defective for the last 3 years, but i only started to get issues since last month, i wonder if something else is causing such issues ?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Hey Bro, I have similar issue with my car. Did you ever solve it?

That member hasn't been on the forum since November 2013
As for solving the issue, I highly doubt it....They drove the car for 3 years with a check powertrain message :eek: