Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ignition question

HolVzSS6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6.0L
Hi everyone,
This has probably been answered somewhere on the forum but I'll ask again..
I recently snapped my key of in the ignition,
Now I've taken the entire barrel and switch out and want to know if I can buy a new barrel with new key and switch and install it will I have to get it reprogrammed? Can I use the original button section and just screw the key part to it? Or does it need reprogramming either way..
Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_110611.jpg
    IMG_20190818_110611.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 113

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Can you get your blade out of the barrel (with pliers or something)?

If you can, then you are able to buy a blank barrel- cost me $20 and then you just need to manually key that barrel to match your existing blade- there's good videos of this on YouTube, it involves sliding in some brass slips. See my photo below, it's not that difficult :)

If you can't get your blade out of that barrel, you can buy a keyed barrel with new matching key blades for like $40. Then you just screw the new blade onto your existing black plastic fob and it'll work. Only thing to consider is that the new key won't work in your door (if you ever need to open the door with the key).

As long as you use the existing fob, nothing will need computer programming as you're only changing mechanical parts

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190818-195450~2.png
    Screenshot_20190818-195450~2.png
    2 MB · Views: 104

HolVzSS6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6.0L
Can you get your blade out of the barrel (with pliers or something)?

If you can, then you are able to buy a blank barrel- cost me $20 and then you just need to manually key that barrel to match your existing blade- there's good videos of this on YouTube, it involves sliding in some brass slips. See my photo below, it's not that difficult :)

If you can't get your blade out of that barrel, you can buy a keyed barrel with new matching key blades for like $40. Then you just screw the new blade onto your existing black plastic fob and it'll work. Only thing to consider is that the new key won't work in your door (if you ever need to open the door with the key).

As long as you use the existing fob, nothing will need computer programming as you're only changing mechanical parts
Thanks for the reply mate,,
No the blade is wedged right in the back tight and I'm pretty sure I've damaged the whole thing getting it out.
So I jumped on eBay and brought a whole unit.
This should get me going yeah?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190818-212103.png
    Screenshot_20190818-212103.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 129

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Yeah mate, all good!

Just install the new barrel, then put the new blade on your old black plastic fob and you'll be all good to go! No need to program anything.

Only thing is that your new key blade won't open the driver's door lock manually so keep an old blade as spare just incase (for if the battery ever fully dies and the remote button won't unlock the door)