Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Ignition System upgrades

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
So since I replced my battery, its got me thinking about the rest of the ignition system, notably the coils, leads and spark plugs.

Will any upgrades here lead to more power, specifically for the Alloytec? I've looked at Top Gun leads which claim some performance gains, I have no idea when it comes to spark plugs and coils though.

Just trying to think about small mods that add up that are cost effective and have small gains, apart from the obvious CAI, exhaust, extractors, tuning mods.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yea, you'll find the leads do help a little, not that much. As for spark plugs, it depends on what you have in it atm. But usually that power increase is really nothing. A better spark plug will usually lower fuel economy though. You may notice power increases if your sparks are quite old.

As for coils, not too sure.

Go the two hole mod? :p Thats cheap.... REALLY

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
tell me more about these topgun alloytec ignition leads(laughs).

personally i'd say topgun leads wont give much power increase but might look nice layed across the top of the motor sitting there doing nothing and all...

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Yea, you'll find the leads do help a little, not that much. As for spark plugs, it depends on what you have in it atm. But usually that power increase is really nothing. A better spark plug will usually lower fuel economy though. You may notice power increases if your sparks are quite old.

As for coils, not too sure.

Go the two hole mod? :p Thats cheap.... REALLY

Yeah got the two hole mod... Top Gun leads seem good, Bosch make a good set of leads as well I think. Do spark plugs make a big difference to fuel economy or is it less than 1L/100km . I imagine even a clean spark plug would make a difference.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
tell me more about these topgun alloytec ignition leads(laughs).

personally i'd say topgun leads wont give much power increase but might look nice layed across the top of the motor sitting there doing nothing and all...

Mate I have no idea, all i did was a search for ignition leads on here and I saw there was a few people that have them. Obviously they aren't going to give me fully sick hectik 20rwkw bro, but I imagine they would make things slightly more efficient.

As I said, cheap small mods with small gains, that's what I'm after

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Yeah got the two hole mod... Top Gun leads seem good, Bosch make a good set of leads as well I think. Do spark plugs make a big difference to fuel economy or is it less than 1L/100km . I imagine even a clean spark plug would make a difference.
The hi performance leads have less of a resistance in the cable, meaning more of the power gets to the spark plugs.

As for fuel economy it depends on how your spark plugs are doing currently. If your current spark plugs are covered in crap you could definatly save more than 1L/100km. However there may not be much of a difference at all. It all depends on what you got currently. But for $20-30ish (i think that's how much consumer price is on a 6 pack of NGK) it may be worth doing anyways?

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
mate the alloytec runs from factory whats called coil on plug. this means it has 6 coils that all plug straight onto the back of the spark plug you can't get a more efficent system you might gain a bit of performance by putting some nice new plugs in thats about it.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
mate the alloytec runs from factory whats called coil on plug. this means it has 6 coils that all plug straight onto the back of the spark plug you can't get a more efficent system you might gain a bit of performance by putting some nice new plugs in thats about it.

Ahhh that would explain why NGK and Bosch don't make ignition leads for the Alloytec...thanks for that. That's the sort of thing I need to know.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Oh right, Alloytec, sorry didn't even click! I dont usually get to work on them. In which case the leads that are running to the coils you'll find more power by decreasing the resistance into the leads that plug into the coils.

Physics behind it:
Power will be ROUGHLY the same on either side of the coil (lets just assume for this they are the same). Now, on one side is 14.4 volts, on the other side of the coil is anything up to 50000 volts (need a check on this figure). Power is measured by voltage multiplied by current. So you will have a lot of current in the 14.4v line, and very little in the 50000v line (compared to each other). Now the power lost over each cable is equal to current^2 multiplied by the resistance of the cable. Now you see why it's important to drop the current (you square the current and so loose a lot more even with a slight increase). Hence why the big power lines from the electricity stations down to cities are very high voltage. The power companies use a step up transformer to pump up the voltage and drop the current on one side and then drop the voltage and increase the current for the street power lines.