Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz intake insulator...

MattMarkey

Matty
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ CALAIS
Hi guys,
last week I installed the air intake insulator and my fuel consumption has jumped from around 10.5l/100km to 13.9l/100km. I have not been driving any different.
Any reason?? Considering this is meant to lower fuel economy.
Cheers

MattMarkey

Matty
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ CALAIS
Yes it is.
All I did was a general service, spark plugs, oils, radiator, filters and installed the intake insulator.
Everything is all normal except my fuel consumption has rocketed.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
dunno about the alloytec (im assumming thats what your talking about) but i know after i did the exhaust on my ecotec feul went up from about 9.5 to about 11.5 to 12... lasted about a week and then dropped down to about 8.2
i know there different engines but i heard sometimes the computer adjusts to the modifications but it doesnt do it overnight...
happy to be proven wrong though :)

MattMarkey

Matty
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ CALAIS
Funny u should say that because it seems to be dropping now. But something like an insulator for ur intake manifold should not raise ur fuel consumption between 3.5 to 4 litres per 100kms. Thats crazy..

NAVZCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 3.6, 1980 WB Tonner
Whats happening is your increasing the amount of cold air into your engine. Colder air is denser so more fuel can be injected for more power, this is where your fuel consumtion is coming from. The MAF measures the amount of air coming into your engine and the O2 sensors measure how much air is in your exhaust. Because of the denser air in your engine there is more O2 in your exhaust so the ECU signals your injectors to inject more fuel because of this. Once its 'bedded' in and the ECU can read the difference your fuel consumption should drop

MACE

Reaction score
I normally disconnect the battery myself, and leave it disconnect for a few minutes. If you do it this way you'll have to put the security code in for the factory radio and re-set stations in radio.

You can also pull out the ECU fuse preventing the above from my understanding, however I disconnect the battery myself out of force of habit.

In saying the above there probably is a better way of doing it all together

Cheers,
Steve