Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz intake insulator...

NV-MY-VT

Sleeper Builder
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 Olympic Edition
Gday Mace,

I've just come from the VT forums where your parts come highly recommended.

I'm really looking for an informal quote on getting a little "more" out of my VT Olympic Edition.

The sort of budget I'm aiming for is around $3000, but this is flexible. In my limited experience, I was thinking of doing Extractors, Headers, Rockers, Cold air intake and new plugs and leads. Further down the line I was also looking at perhaps doing something with the exhaust system, but I don't really know what.

What advise can you offer as to parts, and can you give me a ballpark figure as to what this will cost? Any advice is much appreciated!

MACE

Reaction score
Hey NV-MY-VT,

To be honest if you’re sticking with bolt-ons you won’t need to spend that much, even if you get someone else to do all of the work.

What I would recommend, assuming your car is in good services order (with new plugs and leads, oil etc.)

Cat back exhaust system (don’t worry about extrators of a high flow cat unless yours are stuffed)
Higher ratio rockers
Manifold spacers
Cold air intake kit
69mm throttle body
Memcal

Depending on what your order parts will be around the 1.5-2k mark while labour would be around the $300-$500 mark give or take

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
I have just installed the intake insulator on my VZ V6, a job made very easy by an excellent walk through by mace, cheers guys.

I do have a small question:

I have just driven the car for the first time after installing the insulator (also changed oil and spark plugs), about 6km on flat roads and after leaving it to sit for 2 hours have felt the top of the manifold. The manifold still feels quite warm and about the same as a mate with the same car but stock insulator who came with me (same distance driven).

Im just wondering if it is possible that I have installed it wrong because I thought that it would be noticeably cooler with the 12mm insulator especially over a short distance??

Or am under the wrong impression about the reduced heat transfer to the manifold

Cheers

MACE

Reaction score
Hey Tuttle,

Unless the car is not running normally then you’ve installed them correctly

In regards to the insulation ability of the insulator they work by blocking heat transfer via conduction. What this means is that they directly block heat that is in direct contact with another component, in this case hot lower runners to upper plenum.

When the car is driving and there is sufficient air flow there will be a noticeably reduction in manifold temp. However under heavy stop start conditions or shut downs over a long period of time it will eventually heat up predominately due to natural convection.

To appreciate where I’m coming from, if you get another chance to do the same test, try touch the manifolds (better yet say using an infrared thermometer) just when you guys pull up to your destination. You should notice a greater temperature

Hope this clears things up

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

Tuttle

stupidity reigns supreme!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Thanks Steve,

I knew that there was reduced heat conduction just never thought there would be so much natural convection.

Thanks for clearing that up.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Give it time. You can make the computer relearning process quicker by resetting if you wanted to.

Cheers,
Steve

This will most likely be a tough question to answer, but how many km's will the car need to do for the computer to adjust once fitting the manifold insulators?
I helped a mate install manifold insulators and your CAI to his car just over a month ago now, and he's been complaining to me about fuel consumption going up (by around 2-3litres per 100km)... It's dropped a bit now, but we were both hoping to see a reduction.
Next time I see him we'll try disconnecting the battery though.

MACE

Reaction score
This will most likely be a tough question to answer, but how many km's will the car need to do for the computer to adjust once fitting the manifold insulators?
I helped a mate install manifold insulators and your CAI to his car just over a month ago now, and he's been complaining to me about fuel consumption going up (by around 2-3litres per 100km)... It's dropped a bit now, but we were both hoping to see a reduction.
Next time I see him we'll try disconnecting the battery though.

At most it can take a couple of tank fulls though ever car is different. You can try resetting the computer which should make the learning process quicker

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Steve

frank6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Does it improve performance I was thinking of getting one

MACE

Reaction score
Does it improve performance I was thinking of getting one

It sure does, from testing we have found that the manifold spacers improve torque right from idle (approx 10% due to the increased runner length) which naturally means a increase in power. You also get improvements in fuel economy because the intake charge going into the cylinder is cooler. Cooler/denser air contains more oxygen which means you can add more fuel to produce more power.

In reality this is one of the few mods that doesn't have any negative impact on performance in any way.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

Bart

frank6969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
Hey mace well I ordered and within 2 days I received the insulators put them strait in was a very easy install thanks too your instructions. The car loves them lol I've noticed it reves out alot smother and the take off feels more responsive after driving for a solid half hour the manifold is still cold to touch, so I say a top product and I highly recommend to anyone interested.