Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Intermittent Locking Problems

M@rk78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ SZ6
G'day everyone. I'm new here and I hope the placement to this thread is correct.

Recently I had an actuator replacement done in my drivers door and is now working perfectly again. Before fixing it, I had to open the rear passenger door and reach through to manually lift the lock with ease.

About 2 weeks before having this replacement done by a mechanic, the passenger side rear door became locked and couldn't even unlock it manually as if the deadlock was activated only on that door.

A week after the driver's door was fix, the passenger side rear door started to work again, but then the front passenger door became locked in the same deadlock like manner a few days after the same side rear door issue. Now this was the most embarrassing to me as my partner had to ride in the back seat because she wasn't willing to do the old 'Dukes of Hazard style' entry of the car.

The next day I thought to keep hitting the unlock button on the remote whilst pulling up on the front passenger lock and sure enough, it unlocked. It was fine for a few days, but now it's not locking properly now and then, sounding the horn "beep beep beep beep", when it doesn't.

My car clearly doesn't like to discriminate, today the drivers side rear door decides it's going to stay locked. Any ideas anyone? I'm no mechanic, but I'm thinking along the lines of a temperamental BCM. Anyone else had this issue?

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
It's the micro switches in the actuators on the door locks, they are well known for being poor quality. You will end up doing them all if you want it working properly. A tip for free, if you have a door that is not unlocking, take the door card off and unplug the actuator. You will have to lock and unlock those doors the old fashioned way until you replace the actuators, but it's much better that getting stuck with a locked door. It will also stop the horn sounding, which is just a warning that a door hasn't locked/unlocked.

When you get them all fixed, set the car to only unlock the drivers door with a single press of the key, it just saves cycling the other actuators when you don't need to.

Read this if you want to have a go at repairing your own.... https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-repair-door-actuator.176087/#post-1961877

M@rk78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ SZ6
It's the micro switches in the actuators on the door locks, they are well known for being poor quality. You will end up doing them all if you want it working properly. A tip for free, if you have a door that is not unlocking, take the door card off and unplug the actuator. You will have to lock and unlock those doors the old fashioned way until you replace the actuators, but it's much better that getting stuck with a locked door. It will also stop the horn sounding, which is just a warning that a door hasn't locked/unlocked.

When you get them all fixed, set the car to only unlock the drivers door with a single press of the key, it just saves cycling the other actuators when you don't need to.

Read this if you want to have a go at repairing your own.... https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-repair-door-actuator.176087/#post-1961877
Thank you for this information. I really appreciate it.