Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ issues, misfiring? Advice needed

Christown

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here and Holden lover, but posting for the first time as need some help regarding issues with my '05 V6 VZ.

I've owned this car for 10 months now and has been running great for most of that time. Was serviced 6 months ago with no issues reported. But in the last month it has started developing some issues.

Now I'm not very knowledgeable about cars at all, but I think that the engine is misfiring. When the weather is really hot, the engine will stutter on idle and at low speeds, worse with the air con turned on. With normal weather, it doesn't stutter on idle but will stutter/shudder and has low power when accelerating from a stop such as from traffic lights, or when travelling at low speeds and putting my foot down. In both instances it will disappear once revs are up.

The issue doesn't occur once travelling along at a decent speed, but occasionally happens when accelerating at very high speeds (100km/h).

I've seen many different posts with similar issues and causes, from spark plugs, ignition leads, coils, timing chain, ECU. Etc.

I'm getting no warnings or lights on the dash.

Just wondering if anyone may know what the most likely cause of my issues are?

Will be taking it to a mechanic when possible, but would like to know most likely outcome and what I'll be in for. As if it's a costly problem such as timing chain, it may not be worth me getting it repaired.

Thanks.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Replace the spark plugs, coils and clean the MAF and most likely all will be well.

disturboed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Crewman Storm
Just wondering if anyone may know what the most likely cause of my issues are?

I'm also long time lurker, first time poster.

I've just had a very similar issue to yours and after scouring these forums like yourself found there could be many different reasons.

I am also not mechanically trained or learned, so much of what I did, was for the very first time. I ended up tracing my problem to a faulty coil pack which I replaced. It ended up being No. 1 which is wonderfully located underneath the air intake plenum, so I had to take that off to do it.

I actually videoed the whole procedure and how I traced the problem and have just uploaded it to youtube. Like I say, I'm a total noob at this and everything I did was very slow and careful, but in the end I rectified my issue.

Here is my video:

Follow the first part of the video to try and trace your exact problem. The parts cost me a grand total of about $50 off ebay. Hopefully it helps you out.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Great video and a great help to many I'm sure. Thanks for going to the trouble of filming, and posting!

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
try some fuel injector cleaner