Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Key remote intermittant

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Hi Guys, Several months ago I picked up a VZ wagon. A few days later I'd been to the shops and come home, found that it wouldn't lock, no flashing lights, the keyfob wouldn't do anything. An hour later it worked again. Since I didn't have a spare, i ordered a new one, genuine which arrived a few days later.

A few days after using new key, I had same problem. Got to shops, couldn't lock car, remote was seemingly dead regardless of which button I pressed. Went to shops, came back, buttons still unresponsive. Got in car since still unlocked and drove home fine.

Got home, still no good with buttons. Went and found original key, it worked, but then so did new one again.

It has done it once since. So far always been trouble locking after going for a drive. Luckily, hasn't been trouble unlocking, yet. The last time it did it I realised that ever day it gave trouble it had also been lightly raining so I pulled the kick panels and poked around thinking maybe a water leak somewhere, found nothing and no sign of moisture. The remote started working again mid kick panel removal.

I'm not sure if the rain was related or coincidence, it doesn't affect unlocking while in the rain. Has anyone had similar issues or ideas? I mentioned it to a couple of local mechanic and electrical guys, as well as the locksmith, none had anything to offer.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Yes. I’ve had similar issues. The only times it’s happened though have been when the key has been in my pocket with buttons against my wallet.

Unlock car with key. Alarm sounds. Turn ignition on. Alarm stops. Car will start. Fault won’t reoccur if the key is then removed.

It’s an after market key. The buttons are way more sensitive than the factory key.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
Ok, that sounds like a very different issue to mine.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Replace the key fobs, and not with after-market/Chinese-made gimmicks.
The original Holden fobs very, very long-life items, but you never know what their prior history is e.g. being sat on, which depresses/crimps the buttons and flattens the battery. Because this is a security thing, you should replace the fob (or fobs, plural: two should be with the car) as a priority matter.