Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Key Reprogramming

rebecca22

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hello. I purchased a new head and blank key from Holden parts. They said Mr Minit could program it. However other people seem to be able to program a key themselves by leaving it in the ignition or something like that. Any clues?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
no, it will need to be programmed, supposedly this was able to happen on earlier models but i doubt it works on these

LUMPY R

Reaction score
Members Ride
1972 chevy el camino
Program vz remote

no, it will need to be programmed, supposedly this was able to happen on earlier models but i doubt it works on these

I have a VZ Monaro and the remote was not working, Holden $170 and Locksmith $95. Read another forum. I put the key in the ignition and left it on accessories for 10 seconds and then started the car and held the unlock button for another 10 seconds. Turned the car off and it works fine have not had a problem for over a month.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
****?? ^^^ in NZ remote $80 from Holden dealer , reprogrammed , free. That was for a remote on a VZ SV6 .

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Mr Minit charge about $100 and they cut a blade and program the head for you.

I have a VZ Monaro and the remote was not working, Holden $170 and Locksmith $95. Read another forum. I put the key in the ignition and left it on accessories for 10 seconds and then started the car and held the unlock button for another 10 seconds. Turned the car off and it works fine have not had a problem for over a month.

So you bought the head yourself or you used a locksmith?

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

I have done this on about the last 4 commodores i have owned since 2000 ( VP , VT , VY , VZ )

You key / blade can be cut by anyone that is not the problem.
The remote itself is the issue, when you get a new remote there is a very specific process

Get old working key and remote
Go to holden / Mr mint . Locksmith and the must read the existing remote code into a special machine , it extracts the codes or the batch to the BCM
Then they swap in the new key and remote , and transfer / copy the code of the machine to the new remote
Go to your car , unlock the car with the old remote ( the new one will not unlock the car yet )
Start the car with the new key and run for 40-60 seconds
Switch off and remove key
Get outside . close the door and test lock the car with the new remote

Unless i typed it wrong that is pretty much the only way it will work

Not Mr minit will usually sell you his universal product, it is a 2 part key , a holden base / blade to fit the lock, and a mr minit generic top electronics that will run on the commodore,
Ok in saying that, these guys run a franchise store, so some shops may have privately purchased cheap surplus OEM GMH remotes and use them

unfortunately there keys use a battery that will run flat in 2 years, you will have to go to them and change the battery , some times you will need to reprogram the key
This happened tome in 2008 with the ford teritory when the spare key went missing, on its 3rd battery now , i try and remember to swap the keys at the first of the month for a few days

regards
george

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
As far as im aware all Mr Minit stores use genuine Holden Keys the same as you get from the dealer. Being that all stores order from the same warehouse they all should be using the genuine heads. Mr Minit guarantee their batteries for 2 years so as a suggestion take it in before then end of the 2 years an say that its playing up they will change the battery no problems as long as you have the guarantee card that they gave you.

Tony K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
As far as im aware all Mr Minit stores use genuine Holden Keys the same as you get from the dealer. Being that all stores order from the same warehouse they all should be using the genuine heads. Mr Minit guarantee their batteries for 2 years so as a suggestion take it in before then end of the 2 years an say that its playing up they will change the battery no problems as long as you have the guarantee card that they gave you.

I returned to Mr Minit today with a Holden key I purchased in June 2021, and was told that it wasn't their problem, and offered to sell me another key for $125.00 I still have receipt.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I returned to Mr Minit today with a Holden key I purchased in June 2021, and was told that it wasn't their problem, and offered to sell me another key for $125.00 I still have receipt.
What was the problem though and why do you think the key is the issue?

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR

If yours is a genuine head then you are well inside warranty period but would be extremely unlikely to be a fault with the key. Not impossible but very unlikely. If they put it in the reader and a code was shown on the screen then the key is considered working properly.

The aftermarket keys that were floating around back when that comment was made way back in 2014 were battery replaceable and as such carried the 2 year warranty on the battery only.

Genuine Holden heads carry the oem 12 month warranty. The way to tell is the genuine heads are sealed and have the logo on the back. If yours has no logo then it's the aftermarket type sold by map keys most likely and unfortunately they offer no warranty on them so Minit don't offer a warrenty, however it is at the discretion of the franchisee if they will offer their own warranty as a gesture of good faith.