Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz legal rims

Kulacz1176

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
i have a vz commodore with 17”s and want to go to 19”, what size tyres would I have to get for them to be legal

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
245/35/19.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
i have a vz commodore with 17”s and want to go to 19”, what size tyres would I have to get for them to be legal

The issue you will have going to a much lower tyre profile is the load rating of the tyres. If you fit a tyre with a load rating LOWER than is specified on the tyre placard fixed to your car your car will be unroadworthy.

The 17 inch wheels fitted with stock tyres will be 235 45 17 (644 mm diameter) - typical load rating 94 or higher.

Assuming a 19 x 8 or 19 x 8.5 inch wheel, to keep the tyre diameter the same or similar you now need 35 profile tyres:

235 35 19 647 mm diameter typical load rating - 91
245 35 19 655 mm diameter typical load rating - 93

So check the tyre placard on your car and if you want a tyre fitment that is legal and roadworthy, you will have to comply with the minimum load rating on the car's tyre placard.

ShellyMacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I looked this up myself when I went from 18's to 20's on my VY (old car) .. I found if I stuck to the high 90's and Y or W... I was safe... LOL being female I just had to simplify all the car talk into letters and numbers!

At the moment I have 19's on my VZ
size is...
F - 19x8.5 ... 225/35ZR19.88W
R - 19x9.5 ... 245/35ZR19.93W

I'm selling them if anyone wants vertini Hennessys... Im not loving the staggered look on my car... Advert. On gumtree

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
I know this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one.

From memory cops used to look at the tyre placard and go by the lowest rim size on the placard and say you could only go up 2 inches eg: my placard says 16 or 17 so the biggest I could go to would be 18s?

Has this been replaced by the 15mm rule?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know this is an old thread but didn't want to start a new one.

From memory cops used to look at the tyre placard and go by the lowest rim size on the placard and say you could only go up 2 inches eg: my placard says 16 or 17 so the biggest I could go to would be 18s?

Has this been replaced by the 15mm rule?

The law changed over 10 years ago....You can fit what ever you like, providing it doesn't increase the track by more than 25 or 26MM from the widest track available for the car....The load rating for the tyres must be equal or greater than the load rating for the car....The rolling radius must be identical to the factory fitament for the car...And finally, mustn't foul any suspension components or body work

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Just get the applicable tyre placard to suit your rims off ebay, can't go wrong then.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Just get the applicable tyre placard to suit your rims off ebay, can't go wrong then.

I know this is a late reply, but this will not work with an earlier car...Earlier model cars only came out with the sizes available for all models, not specific placards for specific models..

And yes, I know this thread is to do with VZ Commodores, but the principal is the same and will save the unnecessary expense and hastle of getting and fitting another placard

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
If the rim size didn't come out on that model, then there would be no applicable placard to purchase.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If the rim size didn't come out on that model, then there would be no applicable placard to purchase.

Pointless even purchasing a placard, with a rim change....I have mentioned the rules in relation to rim/tyre changing...This is an Australia wide rule....

All tyre shops get a book, the universal tyre guide, every year, which has the majority of cars in this country and all the applicable rim/tyre combinations for each and everyone of these cars....It also has what tyre and rim combinations which can be used to keep the car ADR compliant, especially when going up or down in tyre and or rim sizes..

I have actually used this book to have a defect lifted free of charge for a customer, because of an over zealous copper trying on the placard speil....

At the end of the day, if people wish to throw money down the toilet by buying a placard unnecessarily, go for it....I've pointed out the rules and not much else can be said