Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ls swap

Arryn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz alloyanchor
Hey all I’m a long time follower first time poster I’ve got the old and not so trusty alloytec in the old vz Ute I’ve recently got a ls1 engine off a mate of mine he had sitting around after finding a better deal so of course I want to drop it in the vz planning to buy a roller shell to get k frame crossmember tail shaft and diff but I have recently found a set of engine mounts that remove the need for k frame swapping I found these on the rod shop website I can source all other parts fairly cheap but my question is is if these are road registerable without switching the k frame to hopefully make it a little cheaper

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Looking at those crs mount adaptors it looks like you have to use tuff mounts on them, as the factory one's won't bolt up to them.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
make sure u have VZ LS1 as there were differences through the years and the vz is electronic throttle so may need to be same to be roadworthy and comply with emissions and work with ecu and communications

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Doubt it will be cheaper, the k-frame will probably cost as much as the mounts (or less). Wouldn't really bother converting unless you have a complete donor, too much of a PITA to get all the associated bits and linking done. Not like they're thin on the ground or anything. If you want a V8 sell the ute and buy something else, conversion done.

Last edited:

Arryn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz alloyanchor
Upon further inspection it seems that the steering rack is in a different spot in the k frame it’s just going to be easier to do the conversion with a donor car the only reason I won’t sell the Ute is that I’ve don’t work to it coilovers upgraded brake setup etc the job seems a lot cleaner with the k frame and a donor car everything seems to bolt on with a little convincing I think that’s the route I’ll take a donor car for 1500 all I’ll need is the box to go with the motor the kframe the cross member and diff can come off the donor the cheers for the typical sell it and by one done but I’d like to build it into something more than what it is and be happy to say that I did it