Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS1 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi John
I also contact rhe OEM but at 1500 beer tokens it is not worth the effort. As it is no longer in production I have been thinking of making a comparable board as a direct replacement and then getting a run produced to make it a worthwhile exercise. I have the idea the process - time is the enemy. Too much work building and electrical work by day - business admin and car/bike projects at nights.

Silver Stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL STATESMAN 5.7L
Hi @Jolls i have read through your posts and have the same problem with my 2004 5.7L WL Statesman. I am from Western Sydney and my car is currently being used as a guinea pig for a guy in Newcastle who is trying to develop an aftermarket part. My car would go into limp mode constantly. It was throwing too rich/too lean codes to start with before a throttle code came up. I just heard that the test failed and I may be without my baby for another 10 weeks. Have you been able to find any aftermarket solutions from your side? Cheers, Dave

John Soko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Hi @Silver Stato - Dave... Very similar issue here as well :( Randomly drops into Limp mode.in my VZ LS1 Adventra. Have you had a DEFINITE diagnosis that it IS the pedal ... as opposed the the throttle body or some other computer generated issue?? There is a workshop in Beresfield, Newcastle that converts back to cable throttle. Costs quite a bit to do so. They had previously had a number of NEW pedals made by the original manufacturer in the UK. $2K each. All now sold. I have a contact in Melbourne who is about to start experimenting as well with a reco of the pedal. Awaiting the result before heading down....

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't progress the reco pedal idea any further as I found that my issue was a combination of the pedal and the Holden's incorrect diagram in their manual. It turned out that I had the right pedal all along; the incorrect readings I was getting was related to the incorrect pin out diagram in the manaual. Fu took a photo of his working pedal with the same number (crewman) and we identified the pinouts as being incorrct in the manual. Turned them around and it worked immediately. Finding a pedal is the hard part - as you have found.

I had planned to get a clone of the board manufactured so you can simply pop one out and another in. That way you can repair an LS1 pedal or convert (I think) the V6 version. I am working stupid hours at the moment so haven't had much time to scratch myslef so it has falen off the top of my to do list.

Let us know how the team in Melbourne go with their plans. If they crack it I will wipe my plan off the to do list completley. If only you could print time!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
These resistive slide contact methods for position sensing, be it for throttle or accelerator position, are mechanical in nature which will always result in them wearing out over time. Either the slide contact fails or the fingers get bent or a combination of both... Such sensors fall nicely into the cheap to make and designed to fail methodology so loved by manufacturers who court planned obsolescence.

Unsurprisingly there are non contact methods to determine throttle and accelerator position. Such designs are used by some manufacturers which are in my view superior as mechanical wear isn’t an issue (though electronics can still fail)...

Below is one example of non contact accelerator pedal and throttle boy that use non contact sensors.

There was a Wheeler Dealer episode where a Maserati with stuffed throttle body using a mechanical slider sensor was repaired by guy who modded these to a non contact design. In the full episode, he was a little secretive on how he did it. Below is the episode.

So it’s obvious there is a potential for changing mechanical sensors to non contact types as the above shows... That’s probably the better path to take rather than getting a mechanical sensor remanufactured... Whichever way one goes, it will be expensive so why not do it right and solve the problem for good :p Maybe a sensor manufacturer can help with a solution as they may have something compatible with GM ECU/TACM

Oh, and if anyone is interested in issues that can be caused by throttle position sensor faults causing unintended acceleration and the drama such caused to Toyota, the below video may be interesting for some (warning its long but may be of interest to some so I’ll drop it here) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Great advice - something I will look into when I get the time!

T bone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss commodore ute
These resistive slide contact methods for position sensing, be it for throttle or accelerator position, are mechanical in nature which will always result in them wearing out over time. Either the slide contact fails or the fingers get bent or a combination of both... Such sensors fall nicely into the cheap to make and designed to fail methodology so loved by manufacturers who court planned obsolescence.

Unsurprisingly there are non contact methods to determine throttle and accelerator position. Such designs are used by some manufacturers which are in my view superior as mechanical wear isn’t an issue (though electronics can still fail)...

Below is one example of non contact accelerator pedal and throttle boy that use non contact sensors.

There was a Wheeler Dealer episode where a Maserati with stuffed throttle body using a mechanical slider sensor was repaired by guy who modded these to a non contact design. In the full episode, he was a little secretive on how he did it. Below is the episode.

So it’s obvious there is a potential for changing mechanical sensors to non contact types as the above shows... That’s probably the better path to take rather than getting a mechanical sensor remanufactured... Whichever way one goes, it will be expensive so why not do it right and solve the problem for good :p Maybe a sensor manufacturer can help with a solution as they may have something compatible with GM ECU/TACM

Oh, and if anyone is interested in issues that can be caused by throttle position sensor faults causing unintended acceleration and the drama such caused to Toyota, the below video may be interesting for some (warning its long but may be of interest to some so I’ll drop it here) :rolleyes:

I found someone who builds them so brand new and a great price I will have one in 5 days and let you know when I install it on caprice ls1 5.7

T bone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss commodore ute
Hi @Jolls i have read through your posts and have the same problem with my 2004 5.7L WL Statesman. I am from Western Sydney and my car is currently being used as a guinea pig for a guy in Newcastle who is trying to develop an aftermarket part. My car would go into limp mode constantly. It was throwing too rich/too lean codes to start with before a throttle code came up. I just heard that the test failed and I may be without my baby for another 10 weeks. Have you been able to find any aftermarket solutions from your side? Cheers, Dave
I have found someone making them from vz v6 and they will fit any ls1 you have. I will be receiving it in 5 days and post how it goes.So they are brand new . Fingers crossed

T bone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss commodore ute
I found someone who builds them so brand new and a great price I will have one in 5 days and let you know when I install it on caprice ls1 5.7
The guy I know has built 5 and tested them and they work he makes them from a 6.0 v8 and they are brand new. Can now drive the caprice happy days