Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS1 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

Muskatee

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice LS1 5.7 V8
Hi Jolls and all participants in the thread! I have been keenly following your search trials and tribulations as I’ve got the same issues with my WL Caprice with the accelerator pedal and no where to go. I am keen to know of anyone who might be producing another pedal to fix this issue!

Muskatee

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice LS1 5.7 V8
The guy I know has built 5 and tested them and they work he makes them from a 6.0 v8 and they are brand new. Can now drive the caprice happy days
Hi T bone, I am in desperate need for one of these is there any chance you could put me in touch with your guy or vice versa??

T bone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss commodore ute
Hi T bone, I am in desperate need for one of these is there any chance you could put me in touch with your guy or vice versa??
Hi the pedal only worked on ss but he found a second hand one and it fixed the problem but he wants the faulty one to build for WL caprice . He is in Seven Hills Sydney, give him a call 9624 0200

T bone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss commodore ute
Hi Jolls and all participants in the thread! I have been keenly following your search trials and tribulations as I’ve got the same issues with my WL Caprice with the accelerator pedal and no where to go. I am keen to know of anyone who might be producing another pedal to fix this issue!
I think he found one from a WM statesman that works on WL caprice

T bone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF ss commodore ute
It may not have been from a WM but I can find out it’s part number .But you could ask the guy when you call him.it was my neighbour’s car the WL and I told a mate to buy it and it broke down the next day and didn’t I feel like a twit . But it’s fixed now after 3weeks searching. My mates name is Kevin who bought the car for reference when you call

Muskatee

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice LS1 5.7 V8
It may not have been from a WM but I can find out it’s part number .But you could ask the guy when you call him.it was my neighbour’s car the WL and I told a mate to buy it and it broke down the next day and didn’t I feel like a twit . But it’s fixed now after 3weeks searching. My mates name is Kevin who bought the car for reference when you call
Thankyou kindly mate, I will call him and see how we go!! Much appreciated

05red vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't progress the reco pedal idea any further as I found that my issue was a combination of the pedal and the Holden's incorrect diagram in their manual. It turned out that I had the right pedal all along; the incorrect readings I was getting was related to the incorrect pin out diagram in the manaual. Fu took a photo of his working pedal with the same number (crewman) and we identified the pinouts as being incorrct in the manual. Turned them around and it worked immediately. Finding a pedal is the hard part - as you have found.

I had planned to get a clone of the board manufactured so you can simply pop one out and another in. That way you can repair an LS1 pedal or convert (I think) the V6 version. I am working stupid hours at the moment so haven't had much time to scratch myslef so it has falen off the top of my to do list.

Let us know how the team in Melbourne go with their plans. If they crack it I will wipe my plan off the to do list completley. If only you could print time!
i find this very interesting, i have a crewman v6 vz pedal with the same numbers , 9218344 cant read the ast number but assume its 7 white label. So will it work in my Ls1 one tonner ? . i have a ss pedal but dont get any resistance from it . Pt No . 92210500 blue lable

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
i find this very interesting, i have a crewman v6 vz pedal with the same numbers , 9218344 cant read the ast number but assume its 7 white label. So will it work in my Ls1 one tonner ? . i have a ss pedal but dont get any resistance from it . Pt No . 92210500 blue lable

How did you go?

05red vz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ute
How did you go?
went well mate , faulty multimeter the blue sticker pedal is for ls 1 . i have spoken to the guy in Sydney Rhys 0296240200 he has someone that converts the 6 cyl to the V8 for $440. 00 . he will need your Vin to do the right pedal for your vehicle, there not all the same
Adrian

Tezdawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss crewman
Hi All

To conclude this 7 month adventure - the beast lives! Despite the diagnostics pointing towards the TACM it wasn't. It was a faulty cable from the TACM to the accelerator pedal.

The cable arrived by post today - I was late home from work but just had to plug it in just in case. Sure as eggs the beast started and ran - sort of properly for the first time. I was amazed.

If you have followed this thread you will know that the cable had been cut and shut using a new connector that had been pinned as per the manual. As the manual's pin diagram was incorrect for the connector for 6 and 1/2 months I was unable to get the correct readings and the pedals I had purchased all seemed to be incorrect; because of course I was trying to align the readings from the pedals to what the manual indicated. So all of my musings did not make sense. Thanks to @Fu Manchu I was able to determine that the pinout in the manual did not match the pins running into his pedal - which was the same pedal I was using.

When I changed the pins to match I was able to finally get consistent DTC readings indicating that the accelerator pedal system was not well despite the cable now "functioning". Each individual cable had been tested, on numerous occasions, for continuity and pin to pin location. At my wits end I decided to replace the cable and the TACM. Replacing the cable, $135 from LSXtreme, has resolved the problem.

I checked the new and existing cables - pins in identical locations. All the joints were soldered and covered with heat shrink. I can only surmise that there was a dry joint in one of the cables that led to the out of range readings being thrown. The lesson to be learned here is - when working with computers do not cut and shut the loom. If you need to repair the loom run new cables from point to point and replace the connectors at both ends. Had I taken this approach - or purchased the cable from LSXtreme at the same time I purchased the ECM I would have been on the road about six months ago.

However, as a result of this trauma:
I now have a Tech 2 scan tool that is a real treat when working with the VZ,
I have managed to download a workshop manual - albeit with one incorrect diagram - thanks to @Fu Manchu,
I know a **** tin more about how the LS1 and drive by wire systems work than I ever did;
What I have found regarding pedal numbers, resistance readings and the dreaded incorrect B22 connector diagram is now documented.
I have learned a valuable lesson on computer based cars - should have stuck with FC's, and
I found this site which is just a brilliant resource.

I trust that sometime down the track that my experience will help someone else solve a problem.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Do you still have the pedals part number 92183447, I have this one in my crewman and are in need of one if your keen to sell regards Terry