Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS1 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

John Soko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Hi John

Thanks - after months of effort and searching for correct pedal assemblies I think we have resolved the problem. an incorrect diagram in the original manual. If the idiots prior to me owning the beast had pulled the connector instead of cutting it off all would have been fine I am sure. Having pulled a couple of pedals apart I would expect that the wipers in the pedal are the most likely cause. If you look at Fu's photo of the internals further up this topic you will see what I mean.

Cheers

Jolls
What throws me - and you are far more electrically savvy than me - is if the tracks are worn (done 230000k's) why isnt the issue happening more consistently ... like at a particular pedal position?
Trip of 1000k's over the last few days, I got between 2 and 180k's between 'SafeModes'.
A code readout I got was a P1516 Throttle Contol Actuator Module.
Aggghhhh!

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi john,

If the track is the problem you would think it would be repeatable; however, if you check the picture below you will see that on each track there are four wipers. I expect that all of them would have to lose contact for it to go into fault. If, of course, that is the issue, As I found out last week it was a cabling problem.
1606661706413.png
Specifically in your case DTC1516 (from the VZ manual) is related to:

DTC P1516
• The TACM has detected a throttle positioning error, or
• The TACM or PCM cannot determine throttle position, or
• Both throttle position (TP) sensors are invalid.

The PCM takes the following action when a Type A DTC runs and fails:
• Sets a current Type A DTC that represents the fault condition.
• The PCM activates a warning in the MFD.
• The PCM records the operating condition at the time the diagnostic fails and stores this information in the Freeze
Frame / Failure Record

I have a spare pedal here that I intend to keep in case this event happens down the track. I would be happy to loan it to you as a means of confirming the pedal is the issue; it may also give you some breathing space to track down a second hand pedal to replace yours if it is the problem.

In the meantime I intend to keep researching to find a solution that isn't reliant on finding a pedal that is now as rare as rocking horse poo.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
And those four wipers are made up of even smaller contacts in groups of 11 (I think it’s 11) if they fuse together, and you need a magnifying glass to see it, there can be faults as well.

John Soko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Hi john,

If the track is the problem you would think it would be repeatable; however, if you check the picture below you will see that on each track there are four wipers. I expect that all of them would have to lose contact for it to go into fault. If, of course, that is the issue, As I found out last week it was a cabling problem.
View attachment 216818
Specifically in your case DTC1516 (from the VZ manual) is related to:

DTC P1516
• The TACM has detected a throttle positioning error, or
• The TACM or PCM cannot determine throttle position, or
• Both throttle position (TP) sensors are invalid.

The PCM takes the following action when a Type A DTC runs and fails:
• Sets a current Type A DTC that represents the fault condition.
• The PCM activates a warning in the MFD.
• The PCM records the operating condition at the time the diagnostic fails and stores this information in the Freeze
Frame / Failure Record

I have a spare pedal here that I intend to keep in case this event happens down the track. I would be happy to loan it to you as a means of confirming the pedal is the issue; it may also give you some breathing space to track down a second hand pedal to replace yours if it is the problem.

In the meantime I intend to keep researching to find a solution that isn't reliant on finding a pedal that is now as rare as rocking horse poo.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Hi Jolls!
Sounds interesting :) I will give it some thought re the 'lender'.
How long does it take to take the pedal out? - perhaps worth pulling mine out and inspecting the internals.
Are you at Murrumbateman?
We were just down at Young last weekend. Will most likely need to return to Young late Dec / Early Jan.
My better half stacked out VT wagon at Murrum in 2006 - same corner and not long after the very nasty crash there that year.
She was a regular thru there at that time.
Enjoy a great wekend!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It doesn't take too long to remove the pedal. Some of it is fiddly, though doable.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
This thread confirms my enthusiasm for not wanting to mess with FBW conversion.

Can imagine the issues these things will have when they're all over 250k on the odo then trying to find good pedal or throttle body or people putting on 'new' junk parts then asking you to fix & repair the issues :eek:

Reactions: Lex

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
This thread confirms my enthusiasm for not wanting to mess with FBW conversion.

Can imagine the issues these things will have when they're all over 250k on the odo then trying to find good pedal or throttle body or people putting on 'new' junk parts then asking you to fix & repair the issues :eek:

I think this is an opportunity as opposed to a problem. Just got to work out how to develop an aftermarket solution.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Jolls!
Sounds interesting :) I will give it some thought re the 'lender'.
How long does it take to take the pedal out? - perhaps worth pulling mine out and inspecting the internals.
Are you at Murrumbateman?
We were just down at Young last weekend. Will most likely need to return to Young late Dec / Early Jan.
My better half stacked out VT wagon at Murrum in 2006 - same corner and not long after the very nasty crash there that year.
She was a regular thru there at that time.
Enjoy a great wekend!

As Fu said it is a lttle fiddle to get the two bolts out but then it simply slides off. Yes mate, were in Murrumbateman and will be over most of Christmas so the offer is there if you need it. Happy to post it to you if you want to give it a crack and see if that is your problem.

John Soko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
I think this is an opportunity as opposed to a problem. Just got to work out how to develop an aftermarket solution.
.... found a 'local' performance outfit that are dealing with the issue by converting back to a cable setup. $1500 does it. Ouch!
They had also gone thru the process of having the OEM in the UK do a small run to make a number of new boards @ $1500+ ea .... now all sold.

John Soko

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
As Fu said it is a lttle fiddle to get the two bolts out but then it simply slides off. Yes mate, were in Murrumbateman and will be over most of Christmas so the offer is there if you need it. Happy to post it to you if you want to give it a crack and see if that is your problem.
Thanks Jolls :) Will see how things play out.