Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS1 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor

Vz ssz quicksilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ssz ls1
Hi.i have that part no.
Thanks Matt, (for completeness I posted the answer here as well)

Answers to all below

That is 100% correct. The accelerator pedal only works for a VZ LS1 (or

Yes mate the harness is complete, though I am wondering if the TAC Module is the problem. The throttle body appears to run though its learn procedure so I am expecting the fault is not on that side of it.

I have secured two pedals from two separate wreckers both advising that they are off an LS1 powered VZ. The part number is 92183447. As indicated in the other post this is not the part number Holden have for it; however, they advise me that it is off an LS1 powered vehicle. Maybe a Stato. Both are sports pedal and both supposedly came off VZ SS LS1s.

Cheers
I have that part no.92183447.blu sticker .Im about to fit to my vz ssz ls1 2005 sedan.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This is excellent and I bet @Jolls could have done with this video back at the start.

The website mentioned:
https://www.lsenginediy.com/
Today I decided to google "PVI england" as this is seen on the circuit board within the video. They are OEM suppliers for pedal assemblies and sensors using their contact and non contact tech. See VCI's About US page below:

The fact the Holden APP sensor utilises wipers, and especially considering the sweeping output voltage (increase and decrease on different pins) as the pedal is depessed, it wouldn't be inaccurate to state that the sensor "wipe arcs" uses VCI's patented resistive ink tech and are not insulated as the guy states in the video :rolleyes:

The question is can the resistive ink be repaired and does any oem sensor manufacturer provide a repair kit for owners to do just that. I'd think not as the resistive ink would likely be some complex slurry that would be masked on the circuit board and then baked in an oven at specific temps/times to get the required surface finish... else if it isn't 100% correct the wiper arms would either chew up the layer quickly or be chewed up by the layer quickly...

I still think the best approach is for someone to make a non contact drop in board that can be used to mod the original pedal assembly yet still output the expected 3 voltage sweeps... Then the problem goes away for good... Either optical or magnetic (MLX90421) non contact sensing should be doable for those that work with such electronics :p

perthvzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ5.7SV8A42005
Hi guys, first i just want to thank jolls and fu manchu as i have read all i can, to try and fix my car.
I own a low kms 70,000 kms May 2005 vz sv8 commodore.
The story so far...i took my throttle body off to smooth out the sharp edge, when putting it back together i put the throttle body blade back in the wrong way, causing it to stick, and throwing safety mode, reduced performance, i noticed the gold coloured throttle body blade had two very small centre pop marks, which should be facing the front of the car under the blade shaft, so i sorted that, cant believe i screwed that up, been building cars and bikes for 46 years, but it is what it is, tried the car again still throwing up safety mode, reduced performance.
So i started reading all i could on that mainly on this awesome site.
So i bought a ELM327 scanner from Jason at envyous customs, what an awesome product, i highly recommend his products.
I have never set up anything on my laptop( im 60 so yeah ) so it took me a while but the instructions were fantastic so it all woked for me.
The car threw up 3 faults
P0120 throttle position sensor 1 circuit range/performance
P0220 throttle position sensor 2 circuit range/performance
P1516 throttle actuator control module throttle actuator position performance
I have ordered a new throttle body, may not need it but wont hurt to have one i have not molested!
Again thanks to fu mancnu and jolls i finally tripped over where the throttle position sensor and control motor, under the passenger side kick panel, it has sensor 1 and sensor 2 in it.
It is a sealed piece though, i have ordered another one from eagle autoparts.
I took out the accelerator pedal and carefully opened it up looks nice with no wear through the black wipe things and none of the tiny wire brushes are fused so carefully put it back together.
So thats where i am up to.
Will get the new parts and put them into the car.
Do you guys reckon i should take the car to a technician that knows what he or she is doing and should have full on complex diagnostic equipment?
I have since learned through my research that the actual foot pedal unit is hard to get.
How many different part numbers are there for those for the vz...as one guy on here said he got a part with a different part number but it worked out well for him, but didnt mention what part number he had success with.
My throttle is part number FC 92183448
So its been a steep learning curve the last 5 days or so thats for sure.
Im over here in WA, southern suburbs of Perth, hope i can get this all sorted out, i have a BMW as well, but th VZ is my baby, my mrs is real impressed as all the parts i discovered after reading all your good advise on here is spread over the dinner table, too cold in the garage for an old bloke fella's!
Any info or opinions much appreciated.
Been recommended a mechanic called 'Mr and Mrs Mechanical in Bibra Lake WA , there reviews are all 5 star, never seen that before.
Hope i can get this sorted , having a few drinks now, my brain is worn out.
Again thanks to this site and jolls and fu manchu in particular for there info which was gold to me and set me in the right direction
Cheers blokes, Dave Perth

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Sort the pedal yourself. It’s an easy job. Sort the throttle body yourself.

Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery first.

Pedal has two or three nuts and slots into the mount. Push upward. A bit fiddly, that’s all.

perthvzsv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ5.7SV8A42005
Cheers fu manchu
I fitted a new throttle body and a new TAC, i actually bought 2 of th em as they were the only 2 i could find.
I refitted the original foot thdottle assembly, as when i opened it it was in great nick, the little human hair like scrapers were fine, none fused together, and the black ink or carbon arcs looked new, probably cos my vz is at 73,000 kms.
I did the start up procedure for fitting a new throttle body and cranked the old girl up and it ran properly, safety mode and reduced performance texts were gone, idle went to normal, about 750 to 800 rpm.
I hooked up the envyous customs scanner and all faults were gone, i hit clear faults anyway even though nothing was showing.
Well i wont be taking my throttle body off and porting th e ridge on this one, will be leaving well enough alone.
Cost me 475 for a new throttle body, 90 odd for the scanner and 175 for the TAC.
But im just relieved that it is now driveable.
BUT whatbdo we all do in years to come and there is no units left.
I contacted a wrecker over east as they were wrecking an LS1 VZ and i said i will take tye accelerator pedal unit, theybreplied it was pretty much the first item to go, lol
Thanks for everyones help on this, could not have done it without you's
Cheers Dave Perth

Reactions: Lex

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Thought I'd add my findings..
My 04 crewman.
fbw pedal 92210500 blue sticker
Vz Ls1 5.7 manual.

I've fitted a 92183447..blue sticker
From a vz ls1 auto..

New pedal works perfectly..

Hope this helps someone else..

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What did that cost you?

neilteo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Clubsport
Hi all. I have fixed my sons VZ LS1 throttle issue and thought I would share the "short version". Basically in the end both the throttle pedal and the throttle body were at fault. I am an electronics and software engineer who has dabbled in cars on and off in my life so thought I would have a crack at what his mechanic could not solve.

I opened the Throttle Pedal itself and found the circuit board carbon impregnated tracks warn down to nothing around "idle" position. The most common time for the car to go into "Reduced Performance" mode and "Safety Mode" mode was when in cruise control (Throttle at rest). Once it goes into this mode you have to turn the car off, remove the key and put it back in ( possibly several times) before it would start leaving you very vunerable on the side of the road or freeway!! Both the mechanic and I found that the OBD2 scanner shows NO fault codes (thanks Holden) so you are struggling to find the issue.

Anyway I found (like you all) that you can only find 2nd hand pedals easily but I figured you would end up with one already warn out. I also found the LS2 Pedal looked exactly like the LS1 but upon purchasing a new LS2 Pedal and disecting it found that two pins where reversed. I got quite excited and reversed them but found the system rejected the throttle and went straight into this "SAFE mode". Further testing with a multimeter showed that since the LS1 pedal goes via a Throttle Module (passenger side kick board) that the "sweep" resistance at highest point is very different, approx 3500 ohms on the LS1 and 800 ohms on the LS2. I also tried purchasing and testing spray on carbon impregnated paint but only lasted a few days and scraped off. (must be baked on in manuafacturing). Also found that PVI in England (the company that made the circuit board) went bankrupt and closed several years ago so a dead end there also.

Anyway (this was suppose to be a short story). I have many photos etc I can share but the short "happy ending" was the following :-
1) I bought a new locally manuafactured pedal from Injection Perfection – Ph 02 97913122 Speak to Mark. I paid $1980 in May 2023
They are located at 8 Drover Rd, Bankstown Airport sales@ injectionperfection.com.au
What Mark did was what I was contemplating - They bought over 100 odd new pedals and made an aluminium adaptor plate to the original firewall brack. An electronics Engineer made a Circuit board and placed in old case so you can plug original plug into it. So when you pruchase it you exchange with him the old pedal and bracket on the firewall (4 nuts) (So he can build another one) and you get a replacement pedal back ready to just bolt in with same 4 nuts and plug in existing plug!

2) Ok so I thought that was it! But it still occurred. I realised that the "Throttle Body" also has the same type circuit board that reports back to the ECU to say what position its "actually in" at the butter fly air intake. So Since I already spent $2000 on a pedal I spent another $500 odd a brand new throttle body (holden no longer have them) but these guys do!! "automotivepartsbrokeraustralia” on Ebay 8th May 2023

And now for the last 3 weeks or so the car has been running great !! So you have to ask yourself - is your car worth $2500 ??

Feel free to ask any question. I would like to thank Mark at Injection Perfections. What a legend !

Last edited: