Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ls1 automatic radiator removal.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Hi all,

Almost finished removing my radiator.

drivers side is all coming up easy but the thing is on the passenger side I got a feeling I might have missed something?

Here is what I have left. The first 2 pictures r the clips holding the front part in place. (any tips on removing them?)

the second picture is whats left on the passenger side. I have a feeling I might need to remove that metal line?

any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
It should just pull out once you bend those clips abit while lifting it up

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Does it fit in the same as on a V6? Pulled mine out, was much easier with two people, one reach up from under the bumper to get the lower clips and the other to get the top clips then lift the whole thing out level. If you are replacing the radiator you can just snap the clips off and its easier.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Are you replacing the radiator? If you are, just put a screwdriver/prybar on it and give it a good whack because the clips are on the radiator and the new one has new clips. If you're reusing, use a screwdriver to bend them forward and pull the condenser up a bit at a time side by side.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
the radiator is all in and no leaks have popped up.

It seems there is a coolant issue. Its very strange since I have looked everywhere and can't see any fluid or any leaks when the car is running. I notice that as soon as I start the car with the cap off the coolant rises.

I have a hunch there is probably an air pocket in there but i thought the vz ls1 didn't have any bleed system. There is also a "gurgle" sound when i open the radiator cap after a drive (adding to the the air pocket suspicion.)

anyone had this before?

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Ok. A bit of a weird problem . When I run it with the heater on the level drops to just below the overflow spout . But when I don't have the heater on it drops below that point but not by a lot. Anyone got any ideas , it's not the cap or hoses as they are new and I can't find any leaks .

Should I just keep driving with heater on and fill till it stays at the right level ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Ok. A bit of a weird problem . When I run it with the heater on the level drops to just below the overflow spout . But when I don't have the heater on it drops below that point but not by a lot. Anyone got any ideas , it's not the cap or hoses as they are new and I can't find any leaks .

Should I just keep driving with heater on and fill till it stays at the right level ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is your temp gauge going haywire by anychance?

If you have air in the system, the air will set the temp dial through the roof untill removed.
I had to get my radiator replaced a while back, would have done it myself if I had the time, took it to a well known repairer (wont drop names) and they didnt check for air in the system, or run the heater after filling it up which caused the level to drop too low and more air was sucked into the system.

To fix, we popped the car up some ramps, ran with the heater on, put some more coolant in and left the radiator cap off till all the bubbles stopped coming out. Putting the car on an incline makes the radiator cap hole the highest point so all the air rushes out of there. Havent had a problem since.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Make sure your on an incline if your trying to get rid of any air, otherwise itll just sit in there.

The temp going up and down suggests its air in the system or the thermostat doing something weird. Usually air in the system will sky rocket the temp gauge, but you might only have a little?

Could try popping out the thermostat, and see if that gives a constant temp reading? I had the joy of being done on roe hwy during peak hour when mine decided to seize up and spew coolant everywhere. They seem to "semi" seize up and when hit by a burst of hot/cold fluid dont do so well.

Since its a new radiator, I wouldnt have thought you would have anything blocking any passages. You can open up the engineer mode in the dash to view the live coolant temp to see if it does dramatically increase or decrease, might help diagnose whether is is air or not if its jumping around