Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS1 problem

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi All,

I am in the process of taking the LS1 from my old VY and throwing it into a VZ LS1 ute shell. We have livened her up between bodies with a new cam and a few other go fast bits. We can get the old girl to start and idle but it will not accept input from the accelerator - drive by wire. When we got the shell it was missing the accelerator pedal and ECU. I purchased an unlocked ECU from LSXtreme but just can't seem to get the pedal and throttle body to communicate. Besides going back to a VY loom and cable clutch is there a way to fit an aftermarket pedal and throttle controller to bypass the TAC or is the link critical; ie, is the TAC output also fed into the ECU?

Cheers n Beers

Jolls

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Not sure if this will help or not because I'm no electronics guru, but as far as I know the VZ LS1 pedals were a stand alone part for the specific VZ LS1 powered vehicles only
The VZ LS2, L76 & L98 powered vehicle pedals will not work with the LS1 vehicles and vice versa

If you've fitted the VZ LS1's electronic throttle body, in theory you'd expect them to communicate..........
I presume the VZ's shell still had the factory harness fitted to it when you purchased it

The other problem nowadays is finding an electronic throttle pedal for sale, because they are no longer available through Holden and second hand units are getting pretty scarce
I actually bought 2 sports pedals a few years ago for my 1 Tonner, and I paid a ridiculous price for them because of that reason

EDIT:
Just out of curiousity, what is the part number of the pedal you are using ?
I want to compare it to my factory original pedal, and the sports pedals that I have currently

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks Matt,

Answers to all below

Not sure if this will help or not because I'm no electronics guru, but as far as I know the VZ LS1 pedals were a stand alone part for the specific VZ LS1 powered vehicles only
The VZ LS2, L76 & L98 powered vehicle pedals will not work with the LS1 vehicles and vice versa

That is 100% correct. The accelerator pedal only works for a VZ LS1 (or

If you've fitted the VZ LS1's electronic throttle body, in theory you'd expect them to communicate..........
I presume the VZ's shell still had the factory harness fitted to it when you purchased it

Yes mate the harness is complete, though I am wondering if the TAC Module is the problem. The throttle body appears to run though its learn procedure so I am expecting the fault is not on that side of it.

The other problem nowadays is finding an electronic throttle pedal for sale, because they are no longer available through Holden and second hand units are getting pretty scarce
I actually bought 2 sports pedals a few years ago for my 1 Tonner, and I paid a ridiculous price for them because of that reason

EDIT:
Just out of curiousity, what is the part number of the pedal you are using ?
I want to compare it to my factory original pedal, and the sports pedals that I have currently

I have secured two pedals from two separate wreckers both advising that they are off an LS1 powered VZ. The part number is 92183447. As indicated in the other post this is not the part number Holden have for it; however, they advise me that it is off an LS1 powered vehicle. Maybe a Stato. Both are sports pedal and both supposedly came off VZ SS LS1s.

Cheers

Jolls

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The part number is 92183447.
As indicated in the other post this is not the part number Holden have for it; however, they advise me that it is off an LS1 powered vehicle. Maybe a Stato. Both are sports pedal and both supposedly came off VZ SS LS1s.

Cheers

Jolls

I'll check the Part Numbers on mine for reference and I will get back to you
I still have my original factory pedal (non sports style) and I do remember that the last three digits of the part number were sequential with the sports style pedal
Something along the lines of ####199 & ####200

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Gold mate; thanks.

Beedle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz calais v8
I have a vz Calais with the same problem, sourced a replacement and ended up with the 6.0 litre one which as you know doesn't work. Am currently looking for 1 with the same part number as my original which is 92210499

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I'll let you know if I find a stash of them or a solution.