Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ LS2 struggling to turn over

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I know I used to have a lot of trouble with mine as it would go flat from lack of driving.
Or even if it had sat for a while it would struggle to crank over.

It was the battery being flat or not having enough charge.
Unfortunately my solution is to leave it on a perma maintenance charge when not being used. probably not what you are able to do though.
Although it does fire up basically first shot afterwards and whenever on the return trip for that outing.

Dylan Gotovac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ls2
I know I used to have a lot of trouble with mine as it would go flat from lack of driving.
Or even if it had sat for a while it would struggle to crank over.
It was the battery being flat or not having enough charge.
Unfortunately my solution is to leave it on a perma maintenance charge when not being used. probably not what you are able to do though.
Although it does fire up basically first shot afterwards and whenever on the return trip for that outing.
Yeah probably a little far fetched for me considering i drive it daily, but thanks for the idea

Dylan Gotovac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ls2
Chucked a new battery in, planned on it regardless as it came with the car when i bought it so unsure of its age. Gave the key barrel ring a wipe with windex as well as the key, also paying more attention to the contact, it seems that a little extra applied pressure forcing more contact with the key and ring makes a world of difference. Noticed the ring has some movement so think that could have been the issue

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The battery, huh?
My techie wouldn't remove my old battery (waaay back in 2010) without plugging in the workshop console with its own power supply to safeguard settings of the engine. Funny that many other people only get 3-4 years of battery life, but I'm not up to my 7th year. I do have that "police pack" with large output alternator fitted — and some mysterious push button switches hidden under the centre console (possibly from the car's time as the CFA Commander's go-kart in North Bendigo). Bloody shame they had to take the lights and sirens off...

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
The battery, huh?
My techie wouldn't remove my old battery (waaay back in 2010) without plugging in the workshop console with its own power supply to safeguard settings of the engine.

What are these "Settings of the Engine" that you were trying to safeguard.
I myself and probably other members on here would be interested in knowing exactly what these settings are.

Last edited:

Scallywahg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz thunder
Hey Dylan just wondering if you ever diagnosed the issue, I’m currently having the exact same problem.. any feedback on this would be great cheers,

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
I had the same issue with mine , a new starter motor fixed it

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I had the same issue with mine , a new starter motor fixed it

Same, had the same symptoms as the OP with my L98 and a new starter fixed it.