Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ MACE manifold insulator & clearance

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
So forgive me if this has been asked before (I cant quite seem to find a specific answer)

Does anyone know if a MACE 12mm manifold insulator will fit under a Nolathane strut tower brace?
So far as I can estimate there is only about a knuckle-space between the top of the manifold and the bottom of the brace (around 15mm)
I dont want to buy it and have it not fit... but maybe i can shave some of the fancy grooves off the top of the manifold if i need to? (obviously not into the main body of it though, so as not to thin the walls and cause potential damage to its structural integrity.)

ALSO:
I had a close look and the gasket connecting it appears to look metalic..
I'm planing on removing the manifold to give it a good clean but don't want to buy a new gasket if the one i have is already a reusable one.
is the re-usable one metal and the original made from gasket paper?

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Not sure on your strut brace clearance question, but the metal gaskets are re-usable.

They are metal, but have a rubber piece around the manifold holes to seal it once tightened up.

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Cheers, The rubber pieces wont need replacing though I assume?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you go ahead with the install, be prepared with a metal gasket as I think you'll find that Holden fitted paper gaskets (cheapest) as standard, at least on my 2007 Alloytec. I have the Holden Strut Brace and 25mm spacer. I can actually fit and remove plastic engine covers (just) without having to remove Brace.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Interesting , Iv'e got the 25mm ones on the way , and was under the impression that the covers wouldn't fit , that's good that they do , ....albeit just .

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Hey Benboy... what kind of brace do you have?
Cos there is absolutely no way im going to fit a 25mm. No idea how you fit it but im not even brave enough to risk it!
I know my brace is already rubbing against the bonnet liner, but with a mere 15mm clearelance between the manifold and the bottom of the brace I'm even hesitant to get the 12mm!

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The kits come with gasket maker , so you don't need to worry about that , this information comes from Steve at Mace , I was concerned myself about that , the 25mm insulators don't require repalcement gaskets either , as the supplied sealant will do the job , as for the strut brace I believe there is a thread about that , search for 12mm or 25mm insulator for alloytec .

DAZ88P

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
If you go ahead with the install, be prepared with a metal gasket as I think you'll find that Holden fitted paper gaskets (cheapest) as standard, at least on my 2007 Alloytec. I have the Holden Strut Brace and 25mm spacer. I can actually fit and remove plastic engine covers (just) without having to remove Brace.

I have the 25mm insulator and my covers don't fit? Do they sit at a fair angle for all the connections to be in?