Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Manual trans oil

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Hmmm.......does it sound right to use auto trans fluid in my manual box? That's what I was just told the holden service guys do.....is this right?

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
go to super **** or autobarn and look up in one of there oil books..should tell you but auto in a manual doesnt sound right

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
I have the Haynes manual and it says 75W-90 GL5....but have just been told by a guy on the phone at the local holden dealer that they put auto fluid in manuals. Asked him to double check and he said yep that's right...but i have never heard of this!

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
it's very common in the tremecs (v8) cause they are so bloody aweful. i have been in contact with redline oils for a oil for my ve sv6 6speed(same box as vz) the said you can use there 75-90 NS oil but they recommend the MT-90 oil which is actually a GL4 oil but they reckon it gives the best results.

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Oh oh, is this going to be another preferences thread like tyres, engine oil etc.....? :whistling

I have been researching......the Haynes manual sez GL5 and from the bits I have collected below I'd not be keen on a lwer spec i.e. GL4....I will try and find a definitive answer in my Holden service book or something. Anyone have the service schedule handy? Mine is at home...

-------------------------------------
Plus this is a write up on a comparison of GL-4 and GL-5:

GL-4: Specified for hypoid gear service without shock loading, but still moderate to severe service (high speed/low torque and low speed/high torque). These lubes may be used in manual transmissions and transaxles where EP additives are acceptable and typically contain a different zinc additive combination. This classification is still commonly used, but is also obsolete. It is also a commonly specified for marine outboard and stern drive lower unit gears and bearings where the manufacturer specifies GL-4 rated performance. GL-4 rates lubes are not recommended as a replacement for GL-5 rated lubes. “GL-5 rated lubes shows significantly better anti-wear (anti-score) properties than GL-4 rated oils under similar service conditions”

GL-5: Specified for hypoid gears under shock loading and severe service operating conditions used in cars and trucks. This is the most common and widely used specification today. These lubes have a high level of EP additives and, depending on the manufacturer and formulation, could be mildly corrosive to non-ferrous parts in certain applications.

This is quoted from another site:

http://www.oilanalysis.com/message_b...mit=Search#top

The major difference bettween GL-4 and GL-5 quality lubricants is in the amount of extreme pressure chemistry that is used in the formulation of a EP gear oil. Generally GL-4 gear oils contain 50% less extreme pressure chemistry than GL-5 type gear lubricants.

The API GL categories are meant to be progressive. In other word a GL-5 gear lube will cover all of the specifications below it such as GL-4, GL-3 etc.

Also one should note that not all EP gear lubricants use Sulfur-Phosphorous Chemistries. The other EP chemistries that can be used are Borate Chemistry and Sulfur-Phosphorous-Boron Chemistries. Regardless of the type of chemistry used you will find that all of these chemistries will not attack brass,bronze and other yellow metals unless something causes them to radically breakdown. Generally this is contaminants and is some cases extreme high temperature operation. In some cases if the ep chemistry is not thermally durable it can undergo radical changes in its chemical structure causing the formation of deposits and a loss in its extreme pressure protection.

GL-5 gear lubricants can not be used in all applications that call for GL-4. For example some transmission applications mainly found in pickup require the use of GL-4 quality gear lubricants because of the presence of syncronizers, syncromeshs and frictional clutch plates. If a GL-5 gear lubricant was used in these applications it would provide to high of a frictional modification characteristics to allow these mechanisms to properly engage and function.

Finally MoS2 (Molybdneum Disulfide)is used in some gear lubricant formulations as a friction reducer and additional antiwear additive. By itself Molybdenum disulfide will not allow a gear lubricant to meet GL-5 much less GL-4.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
mate i can tell you the holden service book states 75-90 gl5.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Holden DO recommend Dextron III in the manual transmissions.

I was told by a gearbox builder it's because it's quieter than heavier oils, but doesn't do a particularly good job of protecting the transmission as it heats up.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
its allways been a fix for worn syncros too running trans fluid .most toyotas run ATF in there gearboxes of the levin,trueno ,fxgt era.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
holden spec straight from the book is 75w-90 gl5 as stated, so an oil like castrol multitrax 75w-90 will suit it fine,

yes auto trans fluid can be used in alot of boxes for correcting or making the box do some things better,

RA rodeo gearboxes just use plain engine oil