Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz overheating

clicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
my vz temp gauge has gone to 100% twice recently but after turning off engine for 30mins goes back to 25%and will stay there .does any one know whats going on.i would have thought it would take alot longer for the car to cool down than that. uses no coolant

aj1987

05 VZ Calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ Calais
I'd be thinking a stuck thermostat... But I'm no mechanic.
I have read this on here before somewhere I think..? Maybe run a search.

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
check the coolant level, its normal for the temp to go a fair way up but not to the top... it could also be an airlock - regardless, get it checked out so you don't end up screwing your engine...

Ando227

Serious?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Series II Ute
I had a similar problem while driving around town mostly, heating right up then i'd take her out to cool her down. Turns out, the cap on the radiator had the smallest split in the gasket/ring/rubber, I forget, cost me 11 for a new cap. Problem fixed...

Maybe, take a look.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

clicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'd be thinking a stuck thermostat... But I'm no mechanic.
I have read this on here before somewhere I think..? Maybe run a search.

i dont think the engine is getting hot maybe its afault with a sensor but thanks

clicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
the coolant level hasnt dropped at all ..ive had it checked over by mechanic replaced heater tap said all is good but im expecting it to do it again

clicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i had the cap replaced in nov with new coolant as well and have since driven to melbourne and back and it ddnt miss a beat this overheating problem has only just started happening in the last couple of weeks
thanks for the advice

ozteel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder S 6spd
hey mate had same problem was goin to 100% but then mine was slowly jumpin up and down. turns out it was thermostat intermittently sticking. if it was a blockage leak or broken water pump it would do it consistently not just on the odd occasion.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
on a long trip, my VZ V6 overheated. I added a couple of litres of water ti refill the coolant. 20 km later, same problem. Limped to the next roadhouse. Mechanic says "blown head-gasket", after a half-hour of staring at the engine while it was running, with the cap off. He based this on bubbles showing up when the accelerator was pressed. Towed 160km to nearest Holden dealer. I had to continue my journey by other means. A few days later, the dealer says, after exhaustive tests, that the only problem was a faulty radiator cap. Under normal conditions, everything was fine. But high speed (overtaking, 150 kph - I was in N.T. at the time) would force coolant out of the radiator into the overflow - still not a problem. But the faulty cap wasn't permitting the coolant to return. So, each time I overtook, I was spilling a bit more coolant, until I got dangerously low. After I picked up the car, I did 3,000 km in the next five days, and another 40,000 km since then, and I never had another problem with coolant or overheating. So, I'd check the cap before spending money on other possible answers.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
You said... what!?
150km/h!!? Don't they have speed limits or REDUCE SPEED signs in the NT? Or do you have a licence to thrill? :hmmm: