Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ possible gear box issues

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Hey everyone, I've got a VZ Lumina and haven't had too much trouble with it since owning it.
But as of Thursday it's been throwing a check powertrain warning, it's not losing any power or anything, i put my scan tool on it and it's reading these errors..

Auxiliary Serial Data Bus Fault

P0050-00 - Automatic Transmission Input Speed Circuit Range/Performance

P0150-00 - No Engagement of Clutch 'C1' At Neutral Control On

I clear the codes and they stay away for about 50km then come back, I'm thinking maybe a sensor or something little, as the gear changes still seem the same and no difference to power at all..
Tuesday I'm going to service the transmission (fluid and filter change) and see if that fixes it.
Thanks in advance

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I'm not sure what my scan tool is doing but it turns out those codes are to do with the 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 1..

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I'm not sure what my scan tool is doing but it turns out those codes are to do with the 02 sensor bank 2 sensor 1..
easy 22mm spanner ,change both front ones, make sure you get whatever lengh thay long ,or short wireing

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
easy 22mm spanner ,change both front ones, make sure you get whatever lengh thay long ,or short wireing
Thanks mate, will go check the Wreckers over the next few days for 2 front 02 Sensors, where exactly will I find them located?.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Passenger side is easy from under the bonnet. Down from the exhaust manifold. Next to the starter motor almost.

Drivers side sucks.
Get under the car. Remove with a O2 sensor socket with a cut out for the wiring. Should be warm for easy removal.
The sensor is near the back of the wheel.
Did I mention it sucks.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Passenger side is easy from under the bonnet. Down from the exhaust manifold. Next to the starter motor almost.

Drivers side sucks.
Get under the car. Remove with a O2 sensor socket with a cut out for the wiring. Should be warm for easy removal.
The sensor is near the back of the wheel.
Did I mention it sucks.
Thanks mate, will these be fine?
Mines an 04 vz lumina

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191129-000020_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-000020_eBay.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 194

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
There’s two sorts so you are best to check yours first.
5wire (wide band) and 4wire.
I would also suggest buying genuine Bosch O2 sensors. I’ve had a long history of faulty non genuine O2 sensors that led to all sorts of problems figuring out what is wrong.

The sensors connect up on top of the valve covers, so remove the plastic cover on top of the motor to access the plugs and see if there is 4 or 5 wires going into the plug.

Rear will be 4 wire on all VZ’s.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
There’s two sorts so you are best to check yours first.
5wire (wide band) and 4wire.
I would also suggest buying genuine Bosch O2 sensors. I’ve had a long history of faulty non genuine O2 sensors that led to all sorts of problems figuring out what is wrong.

The sensors connect up on top of the valve covers, so remove the plastic cover on top of the motor to access the plugs and see if there is 4 or 5 wires going into the plug.

Rear will be 4 wire on all VZ’s.
Thank you, almost certain it has 4 wires, upon running a live data test on it, while idling ot flat lines but give it a bit of a rev and it moves, so might just be a dirty sensor.
Might clean it out with a bit of throttle body cleaner and see if that fixes the problem.
Thw Bosch ones are expensive, well for someone on a budget like mine anyway haha

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The others will be cheap every time you buy them as well.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
P0150-00 Some times the sensor is not the fault look at these first to make sure,
Water or corrosion in the connector Loose terminals in the connector Wiring burnt on exhaust components Open or short in the wiring due to rubbing on engine components Holes in exhaust allowing unmetered oxygen into exhaust system Unmetered vacuum leak at the engine Bad o2 sensor or a Bad PCM,
If you do replace it then the light comes back on
Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0150