Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz powertrain issues

Boyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
i drove into town and fueled up and when i started up it started idling erratically then the power train symbol came on. as i crawled home and unable to go more than 50 kms i also had displayed safe mode. Question is why all of a sudden has this happened and what would be the reasons. i got the car home and it still displays powertrain on the dash. What do i need to do ?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Like a lot of things in life electronics can be working fine one minute then pffffttt not the next.
I had the Drive Train warning come up when my VZ V6 suddenly started running on 5cyls but didn't go into limp mode.
Mechanic checked with the scan tool, did a bit of injector and coil pack swapping to determine the ECU was stuffed, no signal to #6 injector.
Could be anything really. Need someone with a scan tool to check it out.

Boyle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
I have been having probs also with the battery terminals being loose and not been able to tighten them up tight enough. I will replace them ( just a thought ) but no today my vz was running great up until I took off from the petrol station. as soon as I started it,it ran terrible and it went into limp mode with of course power train illumination on dash. by the sounds of it all cylinders are running fine. so I don't know. I will take it to a local machanic tomorrow and see what he says.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Try disconnecting the battery for 5 - 10 minutes, Sometimes that is sufficient to reset some of the electronic components (ECU, BCM etc). It may be a cheap way of resolving the error code. Another option is to have the likes of NRMA, RACV, RAA etc (if you are a member) call and their mechanic/Patrolman/person can/will run their diagnostic tool over your system(s). Finally, take the car to a 'trustworthy' (reputable) mechanic and get them to run their diagnostic tool over the system. They may charge you a nominal fee ($10 - $50) or if you leave the car there for a few hours or the entire day be prepared to get 'ripped off'. Good luck.