Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Radiator/Thermostat/Coolant issue

Stig09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive "By Design"
Hi all,

So a few months back i remember seeing some coolant beneath the car after parking in the driveway and thought nothing of it.

Yesterday i was driving home from work and out of nowhere i get the high engine temperature warning, the temperature gauge had gone from 1/4 to right up the top, it dropped back down moments later.

When i got home and after the engine had cooled i checked the radiator - looked bone dry :S

Filled it up with water and drove in to work today, a fair bit of temperature fluctuation but not much beyond beyond half way ( no a/c)

Drove home with a/c on, and didnt go more than a touch above 1/4 again - seemed very normal.

Jumped under to have a look when i got home to see a trail of wetness down the front of the radiator, driver side. There was a faint hissing for about 60 seconds after turning off the car but that then stopped.

What do you guys make of this?

Low06VZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK HSV Grange #120
I'll bet your radiator is split. I just had to replace mine for the same reason, it would hiss for a little bit after ya turned it off, and seemed to be using coolant. I wasn't so lucky with mine, it overheated before this was noticed, but luckily only the radiator was cracked.

VZ Thunder SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder SS Ute
In the morning, try turn your heater on, if it doesn't heat up properly it is likely to be related to a heater hose / tap. If not it could possibly be your radiator cap not holding pressure.. Best option is to take it to a local mechanic and get a pressure test.

highway rads

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS STATESMAN s3
Change cap if no leaks, when they play up they suck in air, gives u signs that the stat is stuffed,or dont hold pressure, if the cooling system is full and it overheat within 10 mins its the stat. havent done one on the vz v6, meant to be gearbox out to replace..

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
i had to replace thermostat on my vz bout 8 months ago, its basically bolted onto the engine so not a fun job.
reason is that it was stuck and so the car was running hot every trip. i took it to natrad, who pressure tested it for free.