Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ randomly running rough and stalling while driving

decay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Hi Everyone
I've been reading the forums for troubleshooting a VZ issue but can't find what's the problem so I thought I'll ask you guys, you all seem pretty sharp.

Its a 2006 VZ v6 berlina auto sedan thats starting to idle rough at the lights occasionally then will stall if taking your foot off the accelerator or let the idle RPM drop. After stalling the car will start by turning the ignition. While running rough the RPM jumps up and down, it seems to do this sometimes when driving (IE foot off the accelerator and coasting, rpm needle will jump around). The car has stalled at speed while coasting along too.
Generally if I feel the car running rough at the lights I'll shift into neutral and give the throttle a bimp, the idle will return to normal.

Now, I've tried replacing the battery and alternator as recently it wouldn't start up after stalling.
Checked the ECM relay which was discoloured (overheating by the looks of it), swapped it out but the random stalling still occurs.
Each time it's stalled the mechanic has scanned but found no fault codes.

Just recently I'll get a 'Service Vehicle Soon' on the dash after stalling, and today got 'Check Oil Level' after stalling for the first time.
My mechanic has no idea besides maybe the fuel pump is on its way out. I'm not sure if that's the problem though as the car has no issue starting from a cold start or after stalling.
Any help will be appreciated and if local I'll drop you a 6 pack of beer if you know the issue

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
oil pressure switch is common for the SVS its just near oil filter, easy to replace

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
could be IAC for the other issues, clean throttle body and pipework etc, clean MAF