Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Rear brake issues

Davidde69

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ SS Crewman
Hi all, great to be here and hoping to be able to contribute in some small way eventually.
I am having some issues with the RH rear brake on my 05 VZ SS crewman specifically the outer pad keeps wearing into the caliper bridge, dropping down and starts wearing into the handbrake drum section of the rotor.
I have already replaced the rear pads, caliper bridge and rear rotors twice because of this, I tend to get somewhere between 20K to 30K before a squeek like glazed discs starts and then the damage is already done.
This is only happening on the RH side rear, all the others are good.
Have added some photos: 1 to 3 RH bridge at 22K showing the wear, 4 LH bridge at 180532 KM - very minimal wear, 5 RH rear rotor showing the wear mark.
Has anyone heard of this before.
Thanks
Dutchy

Update - found out that the car had been hit in the RH rear early in its life before i purchased it, problem turned out to be a bent RHR axle, have replaced this with a new 1 and no more problems, hope this helps.
cheers

Attachments

• DSC01199.jpg
    DSC01199.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC01200.jpg
    DSC01200.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 601
  • DSC01201.jpg
    DSC01201.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 664
  • DSC01202.jpg
    DSC01202.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 643
  • DSC01203.jpg
    DSC01203.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 784
Last edited:

S.Mac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman 6lt Auto
Hi Dutchy, I have an '06 VZ Crewman with EXACTLY the same problem. It's only the right rear for some reason & it's annoying the bejesus out of me. Apart from your thread I can't find anything about it so I signed up to reply. All I can think to do is get a new caliper bridge and maybe try EBC pads that hopefully won't eat into it? Dunno mate. Sorry I can't help, but at least you know your not alone.
Sam

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
It gotta be a issue with the sliding head part of the caliper sticking on the pins of the bracket ... Maybe there's a flaw in the calliper/ bracket ... The calipers are pretty easy to source .. I'd be finding another secondhand ... Fitting that up and monitoring

Last edited:

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
This might sound dumb but have you tried lubricating the pads before installing

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive 5.7 Gen3/VE2 Omega Wagon
This might sound dumb but have you tried lubricating the pads before installing

Not 100%, but this might be the reason. Always RH side? This is because the camber of the road is 90% of the time negative, hence the pad from the drivers side is falling on to the rear brake drum!
The calliper housing could be warped! This can be a result of excessive heat like burn outs, hand brake turns or it may have been dropped in a previous life!
Wrong pads? Worth a shot at a premium brand that really snug the housing tight.
Hope this helps.

George Litho

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy crewman cross 8
I have a VY Crewman Cross 8 and have the exact same problem but on the LHR Rear break pad. So that takes away the cylinder and pressure relation. Did any one ever get any resolution for the issue in the end??

Crewmanvz6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman v6
Hey,
Did anybody manage to fix this issue?
My vz crewman rear right brake has been doing the same thing.
I can't for the life of me work it out.
3 sets of pads and rotors new brake lines, new calipers, new master cylinder, new wheel bearings and it still happens.
It's driving me mental.

Cheers.

Spatterdashers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss crewman
Hello,
I too have this issue,
My car is a VY and it’s on the rear left.
I just had the diff rebuilt and the mechanic said that the rear left axle bearing retainer plate was worn allowing excessive movement on that axle.
This would in turn cause more wear on the pad because basically the pad is stopping the axle form coming out further.
I’m going to change my retainer plate over and see how it goes.
Maybe get your retainer plate checked out and see if yours also is worn to confirm my theory.
It annoys the crap out of me too
Are crewman brakes the same as the standard Ute brakes?
Regards
Nick

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6

They are the same brake pads & rotors as standard model VU-VZ utes and VT-VZ sedans....Except for the Crewman SSZ & Thunder
The SSZ & Thunder models had the larger 320mm front rotors & different brake pads

Last edited:

Crewmanvz6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman v6
Hello,
I too have this issue,
My car is a VY and it’s on the rear left.
I just had the diff rebuilt and the mechanic said that the rear left axle bearing retainer plate was worn allowing excessive movement on that axle.
This would in turn cause more wear on the pad because basically the pad is stopping the axle form coming out further.
I’m going to change my retainer plate over and see how it goes.
Maybe get your retainer plate checked out and see if yours also is worn to confirm my theory.
It annoys the crap out of me too
Regards
Nick

My retainer plates were fine zero issues no play at all in the axles.