Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz rear tyre wear

S

symmetry

any recomendations for a rear camber kit for my lowered vz, i carry fair bit of weight around in the back, trashed a pair of 20" boots in 5000 k's

V

VZSV6

wow thats alot. i lowered my 3" from the rear and my 235/40/18 have lasted 27,000. but i think there due for some new ones.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Jesus! 5000km out of a 20", 27,000km out of an 18"....yet another reason that I'm sticking to the 16" wheels on our new VX-II...

No matter how pretty they look, I'm afraid I can't justify dropping $300+ for each tyre every year...not to mention the "ride quality" you get with wheels that big on a car driven on real-life roads...:whistling

A guy I worked with a few years whose brother worked in a second-hand mag wheel shop in Brisbane (can't recall the shop name). He laughed at adverts for cheap 18"-plus tyre and wheel package deals for small cars. He said they are cheap, yes, but when a lot of young guys buy them, and then realise that the big soft sticky tyres only last a year or less and cost as much for one tyre as for a full set of four 15" or 16" tyres, they sell them, so his shop was full of 18" and larger wheels to suit Hyundais, Hondas, and some larger cars.

Similar to a guy in our bike club who has to drop $300 to $400 for each tyre on his Ducati 900SS at least every year, usually more like 9 months, after they flat-spot in the center from tootling around town, but that's all that fits it.

More power to you if you can afford to feed a car those tyres, but I'm afraid they make me shake my head and say "why bother"?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Heh yeah 17" would be the largest I would ever go... still not horribly expensive but look alright too.

Having said that - if i get the calais i''m looking at - the 16's are staying for a long while ;)

malscar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZSv6
I'm with Wombat. Just clicked over 27k and the tyres look as if they can do the same again. Original SV6 wheel/tyres. And that is not plodding around either.

V

VX_KN079

malscar said:
I'm with Wombat. Just clicked over 27k and the tyres look as if they can do the same again. Original SV6 wheel/tyres. And that is not plodding around either.

Have you rotated at all? If not you should consider it...

V

vzstack

40k soo far nearly due for a set of 16s on standard suspension

V

VZSV6

well if your short of money i suppose standard is the way too go, but if it's appeal you like well obviously it costs, like premium unleaded for your car or even a stereo that you upgrade constantly or even paying $500p.a for you rego plates. so paying $200 or so for a better tyre with a better grip level that might save you life cause it stops better or handles like it's on rails well i say who gives a **** about pating extra. But what's even funnier you have youngens buying wheels but can't afford insurance. Go figure.

V

vzstack

sometimes just getting more than 20-25000km @$200 a tyre just starts to get to much ,i admit 18s or even 20s would look much hotter and no question about performance better but the shallow sidewalls mean they have to run softer rubber so you can never get the milage. my vt gen111 on 15"wheels got better tyre wear than my vz v6 on 16"

V

VX_KN079

VZSV6 said:
but if it's appeal you like well obviously it costs, like premium unleaded for your car or even a stereo that you upgrade constantly or even paying $500p.a for you rego plates.

How does using premium unleaded (read over priced unleaded with marginal benefits) improve appeal? Just curious... As for stereos, I agree and always put an after market one in with 6x9s in the parcel shelf and subs (usually two 12s) in the boot with a couple of amps but as for "constantly upgrading" it that would be a waste. I just go for the best and what I want up front...

As for my personalised plates, in the ACT it's a once off payment :D Not annual fee at all. And YES that's for ANY accepted ACT personalised plates :D