Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Rocker Covers

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
So I'm in need of some real assistance.
My VZ just out of the blue started misfiring, and I sourced it to the HVAC vacuum line. Reconnected it and took it for a test drive, and the whole car was just making a large humming sound under acceleration, as well as misfiring on and off.

I've removed the intake today, found the rear bolt to be bent, the gasket to be missing and more specifically all of the coil packs are loose. So I've replaced the spark plugs and the gasket but on putting the coil packs back on they refuse to tighten, This is where I'm beat.

The coil pack 10mm bolt is stuck in the thread, and the copper thread housing thing has pulled out of the rocker cover, so none of the coil packs are attached so to speak and they cannot be tightened? However they still sit in position and the car was running fine prior to me discovering this as the misfire just started. I tried to remove them but the previous owner has done them up way too tight causing them to pull out with the coil pack.

Is there anyway way I can remove the bolt or do I need to now go and replace the rocker covers too? Will this problem actually cause a misfire, because I'm not sure at all? Fact remains if I can't get them out I'll have to replace the rocker covers because the new coil packs wont be able to attach to the current ones now which sucks!

I have attached a picture to show the copper ring that has pulled out with the coil packs.

Attachments

• m-wh-6789_LI.jpg
    m-wh-6789_LI.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 188

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
A pair of second hand rocker covers will probably be cheaper and better than any repair mate!

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
A pair of second hand rocker covers will probably be cheaper and better than any repair mate!

Yeah I thought the same, seeing as it's all gonna come off again anyway! Just ordered a scan tool that supposedly works with VZ's so fingers crossed I work out what's going on soon and can narrow it down to a coil pack or a sensor or something!
This car is actually the worst but I love it so I'm gonna do it

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The day someone rigs up a raspberry pi to do what the BCM does and there is an affordable after market ECU available, we can all give these cars the love they deserve.
*turns and yells at car*

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
The day someone rigs up a raspberry pi to do what the BCM does and there is an affordable after market ECU available, we can all give these cars the love they deserve.
*turns and yells at car*

You would think it's not difficult, bottom line is if you don't know what you're doing don't touch it unless you have researched it! Now I'm out hundreds and have just bought a pricey scan tool to figure out what is going on! If it's the coil packs I swear I'm gonna riot, because his laziness has blown 6 plugs And probably stuffed up my coils too! I swear it's not hard to not overtighten stuff but everything seems to have been done up with a rattle gun on this car -.-

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had the same thing happen on mine. I have a hard time trusting the workmanship of mechanics.

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Had the same thing happen on mine. I have a hard time trusting the workmanship of mechanics.

Same, I trust my own work now. By any chance do you remember what you had to do with yours? Or did you go ahead and do rocker covers? Trying to avoid the costs so might try and pull them off and reattach them myself with vice grips and what not.
Actually a lovely car when it runs that's the hard bit! Once this is all done, the car is gonna be practically brand new I've replaced so much!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried to reattach it. Came out easy with the coil. I used a screw driver to pry it ( the brass captive nut) open a bit. Then jammed it back in. It’s loose again. Maybe a bit of locktite wouldn’t go astray.

Bardy-II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Ah i see the two slight slits in the captive nut, possibly can get it off with vice grips and a screwdriver! Definitely, I'm considering buying some kind of automotive glue to save me having to replace the rocker covers, because then comes gaskets and the bill just piles up.
Hopefully the scan tool I bought will shed some light on my car and it'll be a relatively easy fix!

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Scan tools will give varying amounts of data. A Tech2 scan tool will be the most useful because it can perform tests etc on isolated components.
Point being don’t expect too much, but at least it will be a better guide than guessing and paying someone to find out what codes are generated.