Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Rough Idle - fixed

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hi All,

Posted a while ago about my rough idle issue. Had the ECU replaced which did not fix the issue. Turns out one coil had not been installed properly by the technicians at Holden. The rubber seal was damaged and let water in, which corroded the coil shaft and presumably the internal electrics. This afternoon I fitted a set of 6 new coils which cost $350 including the inlet manifold gaskets. I can't wait to drive it to work tomorrow, it's a different car.

As for the spare ECU I now have, well at least I didn't throw it away. I have also got 5 potentially good spare coils that I'll hang onto while I have the car. The rubber boot is missing as it stuck to the plug (I had to extract it with long nose pliers).

Dead coil.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thanks for posting a solution to a problem.
too many start threads, fix the issue, never to end off with the solution.
Just Commodores members are left feeling violated and lonely :(
Glad you loved us enough:D

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Fu Manchu

I couldn't agree more on finishing what's been started - I always try to follow through. I hope it helps someone. This forum has saved me a lot of money a couple of times over. Have a great day mate.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Yes, is good for the community to post back the outcome. I do and most of the time, if the forum allows it, edit the 1st to show the problem and the solution. That way, help others from reading a lenghy thread.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Still going great. So happy to have my car running properly again.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hi Silverbird. I have been experiencing rough idle on my car but also every now and again it has been skipping a beat whilst driving as well. I have had it scanned but didn't get any error codes so I'm trying to work out what could be the issue. Did your car skip a bit every now and again whilst driving as well as at idle?

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Crowny, yes it did. Have you had your plugs done yet?

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Plugs aren't that old but I suspected coils and am going to get the plugs changed at the same time.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Crowny if your plugs aren't that old then leave them they should be fine. Up to you if you change your coils, I bought a set of six genuine Bosch off eBay for $350 including the replacement gaskets (which weren't really needed, mine were fine). If you take the plenum off, take your time with all the hoses and connectors. Whole job took me 45 minutes and I am mechanically inept :)

ShellyMacca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I just joined and straight away jumped in with my problem... Then started reading other post... Awesome to see the follow up... I'm hoping this could be my issue.. And it's not my gearbox!! But another $300+ on top of just having brakes done and rego tomorrow and Christmas only weeks away... I'm screwed!!!