Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ruff start up

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
So the vz has been struggling to kick over the last couple days, only takes one key turn but struggles and sounds a bit ****, after the first turn over and running for a bit it kicks over better but still feels a bit off, had the battery tested today its 100%, no codes thrown, any ideas?

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Is it accelerating ok if not i would sujest throttle position sensor if it is ok then i would sujest cleaning mass airflow sensor before you do that check spark plugs and that leads are all secure on them i had a loose lead the other day nearly went out baught set of coil packs

Ben Crouch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Is it accelerating ok if not i would sujest throttle position sensor if it is ok then i would sujest cleaning mass airflow sensor before you do that check spark plugs and that leads are all secure on them i had a loose lead the other day nearly went out baught set of coil packs
i think its accelerating ok, maf was cleaned not long ago, sparks and coils done not long ago, except i only did 5 coils cause i only had 5, will check leads

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
How do you check throttle sensor and mag? think I might be having a similar problem.
The car overheated on our way to Brisbane a few weeks ago, and so decided to replace nearly the whole system. Did water pump, thermo, and added in idler pulley and drive belt while they were off the car. Got it all back together and started it up and it runs really rough. And when I shut off a really pungent smelling smoke comes out of the exhaust where the manifold meets the cat converter.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
thermos would have been hard

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can't check the Throttle Position Sensor without a diagnostic tool.
It is internal to the electronic throttle body.

Is this on a V6 or V8?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You can't check the Throttle Position Sensor without a diagnostic tool.
It is internal to the electronic throttle body.

Is this on a V6 or V8?

Lets assume it a V6 being an acclaim wagon,
As Fu Manchu said,
you will be best to get it scanned with a diagnostic tool, that will give you a starting Point.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Change the coolant sensor for $30.
Or better still, hook up a computer or diagnostic tool and see what the sensor is doing.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
How do you check throttle sensor and mag? think I might be having a similar problem.
The car overheated on our way to Brisbane a few weeks ago, and so decided to replace nearly the whole system. Did water pump, thermo, and added in idler pulley and drive belt while they were off the car. Got it all back together and started it up and it runs really rough. And when I shut off a really pungent smelling smoke comes out of the exhaust where the manifold meets the cat converter.
First get the codes, save wasting time and money. Could be a blocked cat or fuel mixture or unburnt fuel due to a bad plug or coil.