Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sedan will not start, no dash lights, no nothing

Elyse Clare

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Equipe Sedan
hi guys first time poster here and kinda at my whitts end with my commy. any advice would be greatly appriciated plz.
battery is fully charged , all fuses and relays are in good order, have just replaced the starter motor as it went but now i go to start car and have absolutely nothing, no dash lights, no clicking from starter, no fuel pump noises, nothing. i was thinking ecu and that are gone but was hoping for any thoughts or someone having the same issue but resolving it, let me know what they did next before i start pulling the engine bay apart lol

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
There are new ECMs for $600-$700. The ECM can be repaired if found to be faulty.

Start with the key. Is the metal pin contacting the metal ring around the lock?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
we got the low fuel dealer warning and nothing when you turned the key but the dash light were working and it was the ECM that cause our problem but if you have no power at all look at the main fuse i thinks it yellow one or its not earthing somewhere check the battery terminals

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Did you disconnect the battery before changing the starter?
Have you checked the fusible links?

Elyse Clare

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Equipe Sedan
There are new ECMs for $600-$700. The ECM can be repaired if found to be faulty.

Start with the key. Is the metal pin contacting the metal ring around the lock?
Yes I have complete contact

Elyse Clare

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Equipe Sedan
Have full contact with keys, I disconnected battery prior to installing starter and I have had a poke around relays, and fuses.
I tested the battery again this morning to find it has discharged a bit so it's currently charging and I also switched out the main fuse. So I'll try again later this Arvo once battery has charged again.
Thanks for the suggestions peeps.

Elyse Clare

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 Vz Equipe Sedan
update on the commy. fully charged battery and changed main fuse. i now have power but still no start. i get the low fuel (although when it was parked up had 1/2 tank) and the fuel error contact dealer message. iv done some more reasearch into this and apparently sitting for any length of time is obviously not reccommended lol. the main issue that arrises from this is the dreaded dead ecu thats apparently quite common with the 04/05 models that i was hoping to avoid, unfortunately it looks like im up for quite a few dollars.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Ours was the exact same. ECM was not the problem. You’ll start it by jumping the start relay. As time went on, it needed to be done less and less as the battery health improved.

Charging a battery is not what will give you a full battery or a healthy battery. Have it load tested. A very different thing.