Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ slight leak in radiator

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I have a slight leak in my radiator that only leaks when it is driven, so I'm gathering it's only a pin hole in the radiator that pushes coolant out with the pressure build up.
It's not a large leak, only enough for it to slightly leak on the radiator, and smell once the car is switched off, I can't afford a new radiator just yet, but I have heard of people using cracked black pepper in their radiators to plug up pin holes to get them by until they can get a new radiator, it shouldn't be in there for any longer than a few weeks, but in the meantime I need to use the car, it's not over heating or anything, it won't go up over 1/4 of the way on the gauge, and still runs smoothly, just the smell from the radiator that's sort of annoying and alarming.
Would putting pepper in it for a few weeks harm it if I'm going to completely flush the cooling system and replace the radiator?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Is it leaking from the plastic tanks or from the ally core?
I had no prior warning signs other than the temp gauge started to soar when one of the plastic tanks on my original radiator decided to develop a 25mm split and spew hot coolant back onto the engine.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I had no prior warning signs other than the temp gauge started to soar when one of the plastic tanks on my original radiator decided to develop a 25mm split and spew hot coolant back onto the engine.
From what I can see the plastic tank looks fine, and looks to be more towars the passenger side on the core of the radiator, it's not spewing out, only lightly leaking when the engine has been running and leaks down the radiator with the heat causing it to throw off a smell.
I just want to plug it until I can get a new radiator, as the smell is annoying, and don't want to risk blowing it out while I'm on the road

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You shouldn’t be plugging it. Additives won’t isolate the leak only, they coat the whole system. This can lead to much greater problems later that cost far more to repair.
In particular, problems with the thermostat, which on these engines, needs to have the gearbox removed to access it.

If you can’t afford a new radiator, go to a wrecker and get a second hand one. A better option.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Remove the panel across the top of the radiator and have a good look around when the car is hot.

The pins holding the panel simply pull out along with the inserts.

Use a small screw driver/pointy knife to lift the pins then pull them.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I doubt cracked pepper would actually find its way into the right place. Just replace it as soon as you can.
FYI I bought a new radiator for my VE from Autobarn. Cost about $200 and it's still going strong after 3 years.

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
I doubt cracked pepper would actually find its way into the right place. Just replace it as soon as you can.
FYI I bought a new radiator for my VE from Autobarn. Cost about $200 and it's still going strong after 3 years.
From what I've seen with YouTube videos and a little bit of research it's ground black pepper, and it seems to work relatively well, it'd only be in there for a couple weeks at most until I can afford a new radiator, a mate of mine said he has done it before and it fix his leak permanently, but I only want to do it for a temporary fix, as I need to drive the car until I can get a new radiator, and I don't want to risk continuing to drive it with the small leak, but have no option but to drive the car like it, I'd use some radiator stop leak but I've seen a lot of them clog the heater core really badly, and from what I've seen of the ground pepper it hasn't affected anyones thermostats or anything only plugged the hole until they got a new radiator, the ground pepper is supposed to find it's way into the hole and the heat is supposed to harden it and plug up the hole, and the rest of the pepper freely moves through the cooling system

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Wait. You don’t want to risk driving the car with the slight leak but you are prepared to put cracked pepper or an additive that can ruin a cooling system down the track?

Really?

bjmag94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
Wait. You don’t want to risk driving the car with the slight leak but you are prepared to put cracked pepper or an additive that can ruin a cooling system down the track?

Really?
From what I've seen a lot of people use this method, and not one has had an issue, and it has plugged their hole until they can get a new radiator, I'll be putting the pepper in and once the leak stops I'll be draining and flushing the whole cooling system to get the free floating pepper out.
An egg is supposed to be fairly effective as well but extremely messy to clean out, pepper is suppose to be better and safer than any stop leak you buy from the shop.
And with driving it with the leak I just don't want to risk it blowing out down the road with no way of getting it home or it doing irreversible damage to the head or anything like that.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

Me too, I have blown 2 rads in different VZ's and both let go on the rubber seal where the core meets the tank.
No warning, just lots of coolant and real hot real quick.