Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS- Check Oil- faulty sensor or oil pump?

lockmac

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a VZ SS that I got serviced a few weeks ago. Since the service, it is not flashing up now and then (probably 50% of the time) "Check Oil"- with the book suggesting a low oil pressure.

I had the radiator go a few days ago, and picked it up today. When I drove it out of the mechanics, it said "Check Oil" and the car was ticking quite a bit.
So I stopped, turned the car off, checked the oil, and started it again. It no longer ticked, and it didn't say "check oil".

Does this sound like an oil pump or just a sensor?
What type of $$$ would I be looking at for this?

Thanks!

OldAndyMac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8
hopefully it is just the sensor. If it is low pressure then you definitely do not want to be driving around - could lead to terminal damage. If you are 100% that there is enough oil in there then get a new sensor, they dont last forever.

lockmac

Reaction score
I am certain there is plenty of oil in there. On the dipstick, it is showing within the correct range- could there be a problem with the oil moving around the engine though? Would a faulty sensor though have caused it to make all those ticking sounds before? I don't understand why it would make those ticking sounds.. then not 1 minute later after turning it off and on (and the message also go away).

So if it was an oil pressure problem.. are you saying there would be no oil? Sorry don't know a huge heap about engines!

Ghost

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Commodore berlina Sedan 1996
The ticking sound is that the oil isnt reaching that area of the engine its normal on startup and should go away after a few seconds if its constant ticking it could be your oil pick up isnt working 100% but Also check oil 3 or 4 times if the engine had been running because you need time for the oil to settle for a correct reading

lockmac

Reaction score
I just started it then (haven't driven it in a few days). When I started it, it was ticking quite a bit. Then all of a sudden, the ticking stopped. Right before the ticking stopped, it started to flash "Check Oil" (about 10 seconds after starting the car), but as soon as the ticking stopped (literally to the second), the "Check Oil" sign stopped and the car was normal.

What would this mean? It seems like whatever the problem is, it fixes itself after a few seconds

seano87

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Acclaim Wagon
I had this same problem on my vz alloytec. I know you have an SS which is a different engine, but exact same symtoms I had on my car and it was a blocked oil pick up. I hope for your sake that its not that! prick of a job to do and if you dont know much about engines then a mechanic will rip you big $$$. Definately try sensor first if its still happening then its either oil pump or blocked pickup, not much else will starve the engine of oil. Hope this helps a bit! :hmmm:

lockmac

Reaction score
Hey mate.
That definitely sounds like it could be what is happening. Oil pump is blocked, so no oil is getting through and it starts ticking. Then the blockage stops, oil flows, the ticking stops and the sensor no longer complains. Sounds logical.

How much $$ are we talking do you think? Is it blocked with gluggy oil do you think? Annoying thing is that I am selling this car (someone very interested in it) and want to get away with spending as little $$ on this as possible!