Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Cold Air Intake/Short Shifter

Z

zzume

Hi all,

Looking at purchasing the SS inductions cold air kit for my VZ SS.... Has anyone had any experience with this product or could recomend another product to get max air flow and performance?

I am also looking at the gm motorsport "rip shifter" has anyone got one in a vz ss? does it make the changes more precise and smoother? Any installation issues? does the shifter sit higher than the standard shfter? does the stock gear knob and boot fit onto the rip shifter?

zzume

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
I have heard through the fellas on here and a mate of mine who has the VZ clubby, that ss inductions airbox is a complete waste of time, completely overpriced piece of plastic and and a pod. Personally i couldnt justify the 600 bones or around that mark for a pod and a new radiator shroud that doesnt even have an intake moulded into it.

Z

zzume

highendrev said:
I have heard through the fellas on here and a mate of mine who has the VZ clubby, that ss inductions airbox is a complete waste of time, completely overpriced piece of plastic and and a pod. Personally i couldnt justify the 600 bones or around that mark for a pod and a new radiator shroud that doesnt even have an intake moulded into it.

Any suggestions on which way to go with this? are there any descent bolt on cai kits these days? Any ideas on how the HSV cai is? I have heard bad reports........

A

Andre's SS

Go the SS induction mate...

Serious if ya gettin advise from ppl that drive V6's id not listen.

I have a few mates that have done it to there VY and VZ and they say

Ya worth the $500 to do it!

So its up to you mate! im gonna do it in the next month let ya know!

aperfectcircle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute 04 VYIISS 5.7 M6
Please do yourself a favor (and me),
:bang:
"STAY AWAY FROM SS INDUCTION CAI"
"SS REDUCTION"

Get a-
OTRCAI
:driving:
"Over The Radiator Cold Air Intake"

That's my 2 cents

I'm shore this argument has been covered before,
Have a look.

Same again,
There are only 2 shifter that do they are made for.
-B&M Short Shifter
-GM Motorsport "RIPSHIFTER"

I personaly have the GM Motorsport "RIPSHIFTER"

Last edited:

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Put onother hole in the airbox (costs nothing), and go for the rip shifter, the gear changes are precise and 2nd to 3rd are so quick and wont be missed, just push directly up from 2nd and it slots into 3rd, if your worried about slight noise and harshness (direct feel) go for the ripshift street version, it's easier to fit, with the race version you need to pull the knob off the shaft, the street version uses your original shaft with rubber between the shaft and knob to suppres the vibration.
Don't bother changing to a short shifter kit as they will make gear selection harder, rip shift does the job.

Many people have different opinions on SS inductions as in the past they feel they have been burnt in the past, but the growler kit seems ok and sounds great if you are comparing to K&N pod kit, CAI need to be tested on the move as they rely on the air ramming effect, not acheivable by dyno cooling fans.

Ideally OTRCAI is the way to go, short and direct with no bends etc.

cikas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
DOnt know if this helps but I got the K&N CAI for my SSZ

Works a treat and was $300 from Repco.
Hope the pics work.
Sorry about the dirt I was sorta bush this arvo :)

Attachments

• k&n1.jpg
    k&n1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 3,682
  • k&n2.jpg
    k&n2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 2,909

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
Andre's SS said:
Go the SS induction mate...

Serious if ya gettin advise from ppl that drive V6's id not listen.

I have a few mates that have done it to there VY and VZ and they say

Ya worth the $500 to do it!

So its up to you mate! im gonna do it in the next month let ya know!

oouch sensations! LOL. my mate witht he clubby said it gave him fark all gain, better off saving an extra 300 bones and getting a piggyback memcal and dyno tuned. Let us know how you go if you decide to get the intake, would be interested to see your gains.

Z

zzume

cikas said:
DOnt know if this helps but I got the K&N CAI for my SSZ

Works a treat and was $300 from Repco.
Hope the pics work.
Sorry about the dirt I was sorta bush this arvo :)

The k&N looks good! Have you done away with the mapf ? Does the computer not require it to be running? Did you have to get your computer re calibrated after you put the K&N in?

Thanks for the pix.

cikas

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
zzume said:
The k&N looks good! Have you done away with the mapf ? Does the computer not require it to be running? Did you have to get your computer re calibrated after you put the K&N in?

Thanks for the pix.

I had to get the 6.0L kit for the VZ. I originaly got the 5.7L K&n Kit and it just doesnt fit. There is no attachment for the Air sensor or the other hose..

The 6.0L GTO kit goes from the throtle body to your mass air sensor , then to your heat shield then onto your pod filter.. You can see on the picture the mass air sensor is on the heat shield.. All you need to do is rotate it 180 degrees to fit onto the heat shield
ITs made a definate improvement.. The box says i gives 15hp gain but i cant back anything up because I dont have a dyno at my place :D

And I havent had to calibrate the CPU either.. And its been to holden and they havent said anything about it..

Hope that helps
cikas