Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Drive By Wire accelerator refurbishment - who does this?

Hoss2310

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS Commodore 5.7L Manual
Hi everyone, first time poster.

I've been reading with interest the various posts on the VZ DBW accelerator issues people are having, and I'm one of them too. The car spontaneously puts itself into limp mode which is extremely frustrating. I've replaced the throttle body, and the issue has improved but by no means is it fixed. My mechanic is of the opinion its the potentiometer in the accelerator pedal and I'm inclinded to agree with him.
I've watched these couple of short videos which are quite instructive as to what's happening inside the pedal electronics, and how over time it can fail:

Replacements are just about non-existant for these, so the only option is to somehow refurbish the insides of the unit. My question is, does anyone know of a local person/company/shop who might do this sort of work? I'll be calling the maker of the unit this evening to see if I can get any love from them (PVI in the UK), but failing that I'm at a loss as to how to overcome this issue. Any information would be gratefully appreciated...

Cheers, Darren.

Hoss2310

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS Commodore 5.7L Manual
Try injectronics.
I just googled electrical component repairs and found this https://allelectronicsrepairs.com.au/
I'm sure there are more. It's not likely to be cheap though.
Thanks for the links....I'll give them a go. I gave PVI a call just now and got onto someone quite helpful, but he advised he'll have to dig into their old stuff in their warehouse to see what he can find - no guarantees. I'll report back once I know more.

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Do not go injectrocics you will get bent over

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, good video’s :p Was looking for those vids today but couldn’t remember which thread I posted them on :eek:

When you talked to PVI, did you ask them whether repairing the resistive coating is possible and whether they can provide a kit or whether they have a non contact direct replacement for the circuit board on Holden APP variable resistor assemblies?

PS: found my post here but the following video also shows why mechanical sensors can be a PITA..

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have a look through @Jolls epic thread on this. There are links to who does it.