Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ "SS" Flip Lip Bin into standard VZ Dash

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Hey all

I thought this is a good place to outline this project.

Going back a few months we were lucky enough to have a VZ SS for a few weeks. One feature that really stood out was a "Flip Lip" bin that sits in the centre of the dash, the best way to describe it where those monaro binnicle pods go or where that huge, smooth, useless blanking plate is!!

Its not really best described as a "bin", more a small storage compartment. It had a lid that flipped up a little bit to provide a shallow storage compartment, big enough for a garage remote, maybe your mobile phone, a few cards or pens etc.

We now own a SX6 Adventra - basically an Acclaim Wagon on steroids. If youve got an Executive, or Acclaim, or lower end model like this, you'll know that the area on the dash is a useless bit of plastic.

The latest fad is to install the Monaro type oil and battery pods there. Although these were originally fitted into the VY Adventra and later moved onto the Monaro and from memory HSV models, I dont like them and they serve no real purpose. Possibly the one on the VY Adventra ad did (the compass and angle ones) but I dont think they were ever brought out. Plus theres a need to start running cables to the engine ... too much effort for something that doesnt really serve a purpose.

Anyway I read many posts on various forums where people have asked about installing these "VZ bins". It comes down to needing Climate Control facia apparantly

To borrow a picture from another thread (BTW hi Mark, hope you dont mind me stealing your car for a while)

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=4302

you'll notice the grey "trim strip" runs either side of the radio, either side of the air vents, then up and around the back of his pods there. On climate control the strips run up either side of the radio, either side of the air vents, then around the top of the air vents, as well as around the "pods" area. You'll see in the pic attached the difference (and the bin as its from a VZ SS)

Problems ive been told are :

a) the bin is too short for the non climate control versions (ie my Adventra, executives, acclaims etc)

b) it will leave a gap between the top of the air vents and the start of the bin where the facia should be

c) its black, the blanking plate is "alloy grey"

d) under the blanking plate its not setup for the bin, theres no space.

Thoughts :

Ive brought the bin for $32 delivered, should arrive tomorrow hopefully. From memory their not that deep so I might be able to get away with it. I popped the blanking plate off earlier today (a butter knife under the edges and it pops up), the car has some screw mounting points. For what I dont know because the pod guages clip in like the blanking plate - they dont acctually screw in

The black on grey mightnt look too bad, we'll have to see because it'll be a black bin with grey outline. If all else fails I'll need to match up the dash colour to spray the top of the bin (and I notice someone else is asking what colour to use in another topic for their guage pods ...)

As for the "gap" I am thinking I may be able to cut that from the blanking plate as a fill in. I'll need to see how it all fits in.

I probably wont get a chance to have a good go at it for a few weeks (with bathurst next weekend and all) but I thought I'd start this topic to fill you guys in where I'm up too. I know theres alot of interest because like me alot of people have heard "it cant be done, if your going to do anything put the pod guages there" when we'd prefer something useful :bang:

Shortsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Pack Ute
well Y2kgoofball.....im looking forward to the outcome. Kudos to you for having a go. look forward to the updates.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
Ok got the "bin"

Had a quick look and dont know what to think!

Those "mounting" points on the car line up to a couple of holes on the bottom of the bin. Dont know if theres like a rivet system there or not?

The only thing stopping me from sliding the bin into the dash is the 4 securing tabs that stick out of the bin itself. They are clearly the mounting points for it and clearly need to go under the dash / trim.

Problem is theres no where to screw them into! Which is making me think harder about the mounting points on the car and the way they magically line up with holes under the bin.

From a quick look - the bin is much more shorter then the blanking piece.

It also looks like the trim "wraps" around the outer edge of the bin. I dont think the base model trim can because its got plastic all around it which prevents it from.

Still if I'm able to slide the bin into place I might be able to have a better look.

Does anyone know how to remove the trim that runs around the air cond controls / vent and up and around this area? I think it unscrews by 4 screws under the blanking plate then it must pull back towards the rear of the car but its got me ???

Also will post pics when I really start to get into it!

Shortsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Pack Ute
Y2kGoofball, Phreddy would be able to tell you how to remove the trim. the thread about dash lights in the vz that he is driving talks about removing all that stuff. there are a few people involved in that thread that have removed, so i suggest pm them, or ask in that thread perhaps :unsure:

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
thanks for the idea :thumbsup:

fluxxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
good idea, ive been thinking about trying to add the vz storage bin to my vy acclaim so ill be watching with interest to see how yours turns out :thumbsup:

matt