Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS gearbox issues?

94VR_Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
6l v8 VZ SS
Hey all,
I recently bought myself a 2006 VZ SS :spot on: - the 6l auto. It's done ~125000km, and I've only driven the last 3000 of them. When I first bought it there was a slight whir in the engine, I assumed it was normal, having never owned a V8 and not being the biggest car buff out. However, a few days ago it hit rev limiter in 1st before it changed up, and since it has been revving out 2nd gear when changing to third, and the whir is extremely loud and get worse as it changes to third. Once it's in 3rd it's fine, and only screws up if I accelerate and it tries to go back to 2nd. Any ideas what it could be? And it's still withing the 3 month/5000km statutory warranty, I assume it would be, but do you think it's covered?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Sounds like your gearbox is on the way out, I will definitely call the dealer you purchased it off and hit them up. Yes it is covered under warranty.

94VR_Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
6l v8 VZ SS
Sounds like your gearbox is on the way out, I will definitely call the dealer you purchased it off and hit them up. Yes it is covered under warranty.

Awesome, thankyou. Shame it's on its way out, lucky it'll be covered. Taking it to Holden tomorrow to get it looked at it - hopefully they'll drop a new box in it.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Definitely get it looked at especially you having warranty, i got stung getting my VZ SV6 second hand from a car dealership (not Holden) and the gearbox stuffed up only 4 months of having it.

Been the biggest pain in the arse.. and so far i haven't fixed it due to money.. so i've put up with it.

94VR_Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
6l v8 VZ SS
Definitely get it looked at especially you having warranty, i got stung getting my VZ SV6 second hand from a car dealership (not Holden) and the gearbox stuffed up only 4 months of having it.

Been the biggest pain in the arse.. and so far i haven't fixed it due to money.. so i've put up with it.
Took it to the dealer today, it's being covered by warranty - they're either going to repair or replace the box. Yay! xD

94VR_Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
6l v8 VZ SS
Hey guys, diggin' up an old thread I know .. but figured I'd keep yas in the loop, got the SS back yesterday, they replaced all the bands and full serviced the gearbox, and put in a new tailshaft. Because they somehow broke it fixing the gearbox. Oh well. Pretty impressed with what Youngs Holden in Victoria Park did, even if it took them a week :p car's running about 200 revs lower than it was before (idling ~750now) and after throwing an MCAI in it, (well, the important half - ####er snapped. >_>) I can feel a huge difference in performance. smoother changes, better throttle response, and it sounds like a beast. ^_^ Once I get 2 payments ahead on the loan I'll be throwing the extractors on to fix a sheared header bolt.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Good to hear you got it sorted.

I'll be glad with my SV6 once i get money together to get it fixed :(

94VR_Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
6l v8 VZ SS
Good to hear you got it sorted.

I'll be glad with my SV6 once i get money together to get it fixed :(

Shame about yours breaking after 4 months :( mine was just within statutory warranty, so I got lucky. Good luck with yours though mate, hopefully it won't cost you too much.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Shame about yours breaking after 4 months :( mine was just within statutory warranty, so I got lucky. Good luck with yours though mate, hopefully it won't cost you too much.

Been quoted max of $2500 as a worst case scenario, at the minimum the bands and clutch plates are damaged.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

94VR_Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
6l v8 VZ SS
Been quoted max of $2500 as a worst case scenario, at the minimum the bands and clutch plates are damaged.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
What gearbox is it? I'm sure I found a link on jc to a place that does whole boxes + shift kit + cooler + stallie for like $1650. Maybe I was wrong, but you might be better off to just replace the whole box..