Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS IDLE PROBLEM. HELP

Chipz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ss crewman
G'day all, I have a problem with my VZ ss crewman 5.7 Auto (trans cooler, built auto, stall converter, Hiflow intake airbox, cammed, full exhaust, maffless tuned). When stepping off the gas (more so at lower speeds/revs around town) it wants to stall as in when stepping of the gas instead of dropping down to around 750rpm where it's happy it will every so often drop below 500rpm and most of the time it will catch itself and blip up to 1100rpm then settle at 750rpm which can nearly put you into another car/pedestrian when coming to an intersection or trying to get out of a car park and when it does not catch itself it stalls. Thought it may have been a tunning issue so went and got it tuned $900 later and three attempts by the tuner car is still dropping rpm below idle/stalling when throttle is cut. Does any one have an idea of a mechanical issue that maybe causing this to happen? I feel like we are just trying to band-aid another issue with the tune.
Any ideas or help would be great Cheers guys.

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Have a similar issue with s2 ve ss occasionally come to a roundabout or intersection and clutch in it goes to 2000rpm the down to 500 then up to 900 never worried me been retuned twice and never been able to find a solution been like it for 2 years now lol

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
==> Idle air control valve fault.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What about something as simple as a poor functioning PCV?

Chipz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ss crewman
Thanks for the ideas/replys, I done a smoke test on the engine (pushed smoke through via intake) and found no leaks. And noticed that there is no vacuum or breather hoses other than the one short loop on the side of the throttle body unlike the pre VZ ls1's, so I'm not sure where to look for the pcv?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190807-105804_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190807-105804_Gallery.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 286
  • Screenshot_20190807-105817_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190807-105817_Gallery.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 322

Andy Stovell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SS 5.7L Red
Argh, having the same issue here in 2020 with my VZ SS LS1.. Did you eventually find a solution?

Chipz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ss crewman
Argh, having the same issue here in 2020 with my VZ SS LS1.. Did you eventually find a solution?
Na mate still shits me, Tuner just upped the grams of fuel at low rpm which just upped the in gear idle basically, that helped the stalling some what since it now drops to like 750rpm (occasionally still stalls), so now I have to ride the brake around town because the car just wants to go as soon as you drop her in drive. So It still has the Rpm drop just higher in the revs so I believe it's just another band-aid. Ive been meaning to take it to a few other people to see what they think could be happening. Been told so many different potential causes just dont have the funds to go chasing it atm.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Na mate still shits me, Tuner just upped the grams of fuel at low rpm which just upped the in gear idle basically, that helped the stalling some what since it now drops to like 750rpm (occasionally still stalls), so now I have to ride the brake around town because the car just wants to go as soon as you drop her in drive. So It still has the Rpm drop just higher in the revs so I believe it's just another band-aid. Ive been meaning to take it to a few other people to see what they think could be happening. Been told so many different potential causes just dont have the funds to go chasing it atm.
is this VZ LS1 with the electronic throttle body or cable ?

Andy Stovell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SS 5.7L Red
@Chipz I just realised that my Crankcase Breather Hose rubber is split, I'm wondering if this is allowing unfiltered (cool) air into the intake and causing the oil fumes to cool. I'm going to try installing a Catch Can in hopes that this is the cause of my poor performance.

I'm also wondering if my Stock catalytic converter could be causing the low RPMs and Stalling. The workshop manual suggests it could.

Thoughts?

Chipz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ ss crewman
@Chipz I just realised that my Crankcase Breather Hose rubber is split, I'm wondering if this is allowing unfiltered (cool) air into the intake and causing the oil fumes to cool. I'm going to try installing a Catch Can in hopes that this is the cause of my poor performance.

I'm also wondering if my Stock catalytic converter could be causing the low RPMs and Stalling. The workshop manual suggests it could.

Thoughts?
I know the little looped hose behind the throttle body changes idle when changing the air flow through it. Ive got a catch can and collects F all oil, but nice to have and ive punched my cats and run single 3" with varex muffler(other word not far from straight pipe).