Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS LS1 for opinions

JasonMit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Auto
The 883 is a great cam, lots of mid --> top end. A 3k stally is a perfect partner. With long tubes and a 3" it'll make the sound you're chasing. It's definitely the higher end of the street build towards a strip cam
Thanks Legend, what I was wanting to hear.

JasonMit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Auto
Cam raises powerband & bleeds off pressure down low....basically means less bottom end more mid-top end torque/power.

Getting heads shaved to raise compression brings back some of the torque you'd lose down low with bigger cam but most importantly helps drivability down low,more streetable where you want it..raising compression is good especially if heads coming off anyway to change lifters.

Downside is can't go too crazy on cam choice & need to check piston to valve clearance just in case.

Even on stock cam otr/tune/exhaust ls1 need snot revved out of them...mine weres manual & didnt really pull decently untill 4k or so but maybe they felt slow to me from having faster weekenders.

vcm883 sounds lumpy on ls3...is that what tuner recommended?

For sound I had 1/3/4 di fillipo tuned length,100 cell cats,twin 3" xforce,otr/tune but with manual don't really get drone as can vary rpm with different gears...auto you kind of trapped at rpm/speed.

They do sound off chops with 1 7/8 tuned length pacies but nightmare to fit & heat is annoying

having done my research of what I want and speaking to various workshops 883 was what was suggested. Tuner said that it can be spec’d to what I want to avoid drone and 883 would be better over 710, which is more tipped to strip then street
got a Kia carnival on back order to cart the 4 kids around so fair to say i won’t be having to deal with highway drone complaints.
I was originally going for truetrac but was told once they are shot, full replacement, Kazz however can have parts replaced? Thoughts on that?

with shaving the heads to get better low down torque how does that come into play with a stall? I’m thinking you want the power to come on and the happy pedal cops it, torque converter locks in and away we go, for day to day cruising what does low down torque matter in the set up?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Truetrac and shot are not words you often hear in the same sentence. Nothing wrong with either brand but you won't have to worry about breaking them unless you're a complete monster. Mines got a crap tonne of high torque horseplay kms, doesn't skip a beat or make any noise. It's the driveshafts that hate it

Shaving the heads will get your comp ratio up, which for n/a is a great way to make more power by squashing the AF more. You do the exact opposite for boost. I would suggest if you do shave, you port as well. Gives the tuner more to work with

Honestly, low down torque is how you have fun on the street. Big rewards, minimal attention. I'm making 240rwkw/400nm @ 60kmh in 4th on WOT. Little squirts = big smiles

Last edited: