Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS LS1 knocking/ticking noise

Salan95VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS V8 Ute
Hi everyone chasing some advice with my 2005 SS haven’t had it that long & it’s just recently got a knocking/ ticking noise coming mainly from under the car & it can be slightly heard from the engine bay as well but definitely louder underneath & sounds as if it’s coming from the drivers side extractor, it’s only there at idle & once it gets to running temp but not sure what it could possibly be??
The car has 157,000k’s, has a manualised auto, fitted with hurricane ceramic coated 17/8 4into1’s, high flow cats, twin 2.5inch hurricane cat back system, VCM MAF OTR & dyno tuned.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
U always will get a bit of exhaust tick with big headers and high flow cats mate, u may possibly have a slight exhaust leak although too

Salan95VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS V8 Ute
U always will get a bit of exhaust tick with big headers and high flow cats mate, u may possibly have a slight exhaust leak although too
Yeah I’ve heard that having big extractors & high flow cats will do that but this noise has only just started very recently, if it has an exhaust leak would it really make the noise a knocking noise that seems to be amplified through the extractor on the right though?
Thanks for your help VR304:)

Dylan kingswood

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 s2 Ve ss
Yeah I had a manifold gasket blow and sound like the bottom end was about to let go pulled extractors off and gaskets and just a smear of permatex seal ovor the extractor and don’t fit gasket just extractor straight to head

Salan95VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VS V8 Ute
Yeah I had a manifold gasket blow and sound like the bottom end was about to let go pulled extractors off and gaskets and just a smear of permatex seal ovor the extractor and don’t fit gasket just extractor straight to head
Yeah righto so what your saying is check to see if there’s an extractor gasket leaking then replace the gasket with permatex seal instead, I don’t think it had a leak at the heads last time I looked but I’ll double check.