Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Ls1 Lumpy idle after few minutes that goes away

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
I have a VZ SS Ex highway patrol car in last couple of days it has developed a lumpy idle that lopes like a big cam at times only after a couple minutes of idling normally when started
It will idle rough for a few minutes and nearly stall until the computer raises the revs and levels out smoothly again
however if you restart the immediately after the rough idle has started it will come good again and also after a bit driving it settles
Any Ideas?

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have a VZ SS Ex highway patrol car in last couple of days it has developed a lumpy idle that lopes like a big cam at times only after a couple minutes of idling normally when started
It will idle rough for a few minutes and nearly stall until the computer raises the revs and levels out smoothly again
however if you restart the immediately after the rough idle has started it will come good again and also after a bit driving it settles
Any Ideas?

Has it had a tune? Could be the AIR setting, it controls the pin on the top or the intake manifold, or the pin could be seizing up

colourmesilver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 98 SS 195i 5.0L 304 HSV ENHANCED
Not breathing enough and oil pump lazy, pull a plug and post a pic of the end

JJH08

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ss 6.0l
My car is doing the same thing feels like a bit of a mis
Colourmesilver I recently changed ny plugs and they were very dry to the point they looked rusty
Btw sorry to hijack your thread vsl67

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Has it had a tune? Could be the AIR setting, it controls the pin on the top or the intake manifold, or the pin could be seizing up

could you post up a picture where the PIN is ?

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Ok heres an update replaced the 02 sensors which made the car worse missing in all revs ranges and barely running ,then I replace the fuel pump which settled the car back to its original miss and finally replaced plugs,leads and another set working coils now the problem is a lot less severe but still noticeable just doesn't occur as much all parts except coils were new
So Im starting to wonder if its crook fuel the car did sit for about 4 months undriven

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
forgot to mention all plugs were spot on

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
could you post up a picture where the PIN is ?

It is in the throttle body or on top of the manifold depending on what aftermarket or standard set up you have, "Air idle control motor" in the pic below, let us know how you go :)

Vortec Throttle Body.jpg

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Ok heres an update replaced the 02 sensors which made the car worse missing in all revs ranges and barely running ,then I replace the fuel pump which settled the car back to its original miss and finally replaced plugs,leads and another set working coils now the problem is a lot less severe but still noticeable just doesn't occur as much all parts except coils were new
So Im starting to wonder if its crook fuel the car did sit for about 4 months undriven

Yep stale fuel will do it too, I did read that the unleaded is only good for three months as I store it for back up gen sets so if I want to store it longer I need to add a additive to it, same with some show cars that sit in the shed most of there life, I will post the info from there web site below :)

For great performance and protection... YEAR ROUND!

Whether you own a classic car, a boat, motorcycle, jet ski, mower, chain saw, line trimmer, or anything else that runs on petrol, if it is used infrequently the fuel in the tank will go stale. Petrol begins to deteriorate after little more than a month. As a general rule, the higher the RON (octane) rating of the fuel, the shorter its storage life will be. Running stale fuel through your engine can result in difficult starting and reduced performance at best, and at worst you could be looking at a very expensive repair bill.

Treating your fuel with STA-BIL keeps it fresh for up to 12 months and stops the formation of gum and varnish deposits within the fuel system. It contains corrosion prevention additives to fight against the damaging effects of Ethanol in fuel and also cleans fuel system components such as fuel injectors and carburetors.

From the Gold eagle STA-BIL® Storage web page.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Had this issue too ... ended up being the intake manifold gaskets leaking when cold... There is an updated replacement that solves the issue. Not sure if yours is same but I also changed almost everything before working it out...

Last edited: