Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz SS LS1

Jc kadina

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz ss 5.7
hi all ,
I have a vz ss that’s giving me grief, When driving the car I’m getting a abs and airbag fault coming up and then the car starts losing radio , air con , instrument go , and car dies . Ring RAA road service they come out and the battery’s flat , they jump it and start first kick. We have had a alternator die , so replaced with a brand new one , and then does it again , RAA attend again and jump it and everything appears working right. Battery’s charging alternator charging. They have no idea what is happening and my auto electrician either .

alternator brand new and charging.
battery two and half years old but charging when checked ,
but when driving it loser’s charge and battery goes flat .???

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
In older models one might think the alternator diode is bad but if it was it wouldnt be charging the battery ,sounds like somethings drawing current and draining the battery... maybe let car sit so that it is cold, charge up battery using a charger and turn ignition on so it lights up dash, but dont start it ...feel the wiring, see if any of it is heating up ... Im thinking some sort of resistance might be draining the battery but its not enough to blow the higher amp circuit? Strange how a sparky couldnt find anything.

Last edited:

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Had similar on my VZ Monaro, below is my reply on a previous threaad,

Fixed pretty much the same problem in my Monaro a few months ago. First time it happened was probably mid last year at night, dash lights went out and warning tones started going off, car kept driving fine. Naturally I couldn't see the fault indication but was close to home so kept driving. Got home, shutdown and restarted and all good again. Problem kept recurring over the next few months and google searches and forums pretty much gave me the same answer, ABS module or sensors. I eventually noticed my volt meter showing unusual indications. I had initially discounted my alternator as it had been rebuiilt approx 1 year ago, including a new regulator due to not charging on startup intermittently. Paying more attention to my volt meter showed that usually I would have a charging problem before getting the dash failures/ warnings. Saw the voltage meter spike to 16 odd volts once and several times had to keep driving with it reading no charge. Car never went into limp home mode and I didn't get the "Reduced Performance" or "Safetry Mode" faults, Had the other faults same as yours and also speedo and tacho needles drop to zero. Instrument lights also stayed off the one time I had it at night.

Long story short, I bought a NOS genuine alternator off ebay and haven't had a problem since. I think the computers in the car are very voltage sensitive and as soon as the battery drops below a certain voltage then a computer has a hissy fit and throws up all sorts of faults. Thinking my rebuilt alternator got a faulty regulator but it's back at thr rebuilders now to check and fix so I have a spare.

Jc kadina

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz ss 5.7
Had similar on my VZ Monaro, below is my reply on a previous threaad,
Yeah driving it last night got abs and airbag faults and then light started dimming, then radio died , air con died , got to the point no lights , so had to pull over , she ideals for for a minute and stopped , wouldn’t start , nothing dead, RAA come and jumped it and starts first kick , there thinking either battery issue or ecu

Jc kadina

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz ss 5.7
In older models one might think the alternator diode is bad but if it was it wouldnt be charging the battery ,sounds like somethings drawing current and draining the battery... maybe let car sit so that it is cold, charge up battery using a charger and turn ignition on so it lights up dash, but dont start it ...feel the wiring, see if any of it is heating up ... Im thinking some sort of resistance might be draining the battery but its not enough to blow the higher amp circuit? Strange how a sparky couldnt find anything.
Yeah driving it last night got abs and airbag faults and then light started dimming, then radio died , air con died , got to the point no lights , so had to pull over , she ideals for for a minute and stopped , wouldn’t start , nothing dead, RAA come and jumped it and starts first kick , there thinking either battery issue or ecu .alternator is brand new only hours old , picked the car up earlier from same problem but alternator was not charging so put in a new one , so seems problem the same but alternator is charging now , but battery is going flat.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Replace battery, it's been screwed from going flat too many times.

Jc kadina

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz ss 5.7
Thanks , yeah it’s the first step I’m going to try ,