Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ss safety mode

DES71G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Hi there everyone , new to the ls1 scene just purchased a 2004 vz ss drives great but every couple of days it goes into safety mode and can't go over 1500 rpm ( very annoying) have to turn off wait about 10 seconds start up again all good till it happens again. It happens randomly, on highway , low speed , mainly when taking off from traffic lights, engine feels great until safety mode kicks in for god knows what reason. Please can anyone help . What causes this ? Please anybody

DES71G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Had 3 different scanners on it no fault codes even when in safety mode.

H

harrop.senator

Got me buggered then dude first thing we do at work with black magic isssues like this is scan it. Unfortunately no codes and electrical gremlins means a butt load of tail chasing. Good luck with it.

DES71G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Thanks mate I wish someone could help

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Do you mean limp mode, below but not above 80km/h?
The engine is put in this to prevent damage to the ignition electronics and fuel system. It does this for a reason, not for kicks.

A scanner will pick up/record a fault state — the engine/ECM cannot escape prying eyes, unless there has been some sort of modification that throws communication all akimbo.

This scanner thing can be quite the revelation; besides a fault causing the limp mode malaise, what else/how many other faults may exist, and in which computer, or all? Only a scanner, correctly operated can do this, and it will tell you if the fault is past or present (different scanners have their own nomenclature when reporting, but generally "past event" means a one-off or self-corrected error, while "present" means something happening intermittently or continuously, now). I find it very difficult to accept that a qualified techie could not report anything from a plug-in session (however, dirt in the fuel system, causing coughing and stuttering, will not log a fault; nor will a few common problems with the O2 sensor, or an incompletely disengaged immobiliser that will trip an Immobiliser Fuel Disable Signal Received fault, effectively forcing the engine into limp mode by restricting the fuel rate, pending full release of the immobiliser). Clearing a recorded fault, but then seeing it reappear again indicates something more persistent, so they'd need to take the car into the workshop and plug in to a full analyser; it costs money, yes, but it is more comprehensive than the simple under-dash scanner.

H

harrop.senator

Where does a full anslyser plug into the one at work we have cost 10k apparently and just goes into the diagnostics port under the dash i though they all did?

Ive only started working on cars new enough to use diagnostic scanners for a few weeks n not to clued on with them .

DES71G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I have changed oxygen sensors oil pressure switch, plugs ,leads ,but still nothing, it still goes into safety mode randomly whenever it wants and been plugged in to analyser still nothing.

DES71G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Please can anyone help! Does anyone know anything about these vz ss ls1 's and this safety mode problem.

Blown-355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais vz ss
Please can anyone help! Does anyone know anything about these vz ss ls1 's and this safety mode problem.

Did you end up finding the issue? mine has been doing the same thing