Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ss safety mode

Oldballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 Man
Hi ,I have only just joined this forum and I am new to this,the reason I joined was for seeking a better understanding to this exact same issue.I have just purchased VZ SS that .can be driven perfectly one day and safety mode the next. I WOULD suggest it could be the fly by wire throttle control.I have just replaced the throttle body, now thinking it's the pedal.I am hearing thou can't buy new ones now and wondering what people do,cheers..I might add I have had codes checked twice with no full proof answer,except that is something to do with the throttle electrics.I removed the pedal today, pulled it apart to see that it definitely has a lot of wear where the car would sit around 60km

Last edited:

Oldballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 Man
Just updating, the throttle pedal circuit board was worn out - no longer avail thru Holden's , found new one on ebay.

DES71G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Just updating, the throttle pedal circuit board was worn out - no longer avail thru Holden's , found new one on ebay.
Hi there would you be able to post the link to the eBay ad or tell me what it s tittle is . Cheers

DES71G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Did you end up finding the issue? mine has been doing the same thing
Haven't found problem yet . It comes and goes good for a month then safety mode everyday for a week

Oldballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 Man
Haven't found problem yet . It comes and goes good for a month then safety mode everyday for a week
Unfortunately after reading sellers description he states that it's for 6.0L only not 5.7L, I checked with Holden and the guy said they are different.The seller wasn't very unhelpful. Don't know what to do at this point as I know it's the pedal, but I can't get one and car is useless without it.I don't want to buy secondhand Because I was intending on keeping the car and don't want to want to end up with the same issue again.I think there are going to be a lot of vz's out there with the same issue.I think it's pretty poor you can't buy from the manufacturer anymore.They should have been recalled.I would like to upload the pics of the circuit but don't know how to on my phone..

Oldballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 Man
Part Number for my pedal VZ SS 5.7L man is 92189343

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
Just a thought, could be an electrical earthing issue, worth checking your main battery earthing points, on the body, and engine, for loose, or corroded connections, and your ecu earth as well.

Oldballs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 5.7 Man
Good point,however I've now fixed the pedal, with a product called deoxit, has been driving sweet now for about 4 weeks with no issues.found guys using it for restoring potentiometer s on old radios.Would recommend this to anyone with same issue, available at JayCar.

First chev

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss Ute
Had 3 different scanners on it no fault codes even when in safety mode.

I just got a vz ss , pressure cleaned the engine bay , all tidy , went to go for a drive , & that came up !
Looked in the book , tps issue , sprayed wd40 in the plug , boom , fixed , no problem since !

Gazzatyrone

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SS 5.7 lS1 2004
I just got a vz ss , pressure cleaned the engine bay , all tidy , went to go for a drive , & that came up !
Looked in the book , tps issue , sprayed wd40 in the plug , boom , fixed , no problem since !
What plug did you spray wd40 on?