Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Thunder Brakes

ONROADYNO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I have been looking to buy a VZ SS Thunder after mine got written off a week after I got it!
Mine Jan 07 had the larger brakes front and vented disc rear.
Was this an option as I have seen a few Thunders with standard brakes for sale?
Thankyou

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Mine has just the PBR red coloured brakes.
They don't look like anything bigger or fancier, but I don't have a standard SS to compare it with.

The ones you had may have been aftermarket versions or swapped?

ONROADYNO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
Mine has just the PBR red coloured brakes.
They don't look like anything bigger or fancier, but I don't have a standard SS to compare it with.

The ones you had may have been aftermarket versions or swapped?
It is minimal. Front are a bit bigger in Diameter 290mm std vs 320mm Thunder and the rears are same diameter just are vented discs.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I have been looking to buy a VZ SS Thunder after mine got written off a week after I got it!
Mine Jan 07 had the larger brakes front and vented disc rear.
Was this an option as I have seen a few Thunders with standard brakes for sale?
Thankyou

I've only recently purchased all the parts required to convert my VZ 1 Tonner to the larger front brake caliper/rotor setup
What I found while researching this upgrade was that the following models all had 320mm front rotors and the larger PBR calipers from the factory.
# VZ SS Thunder ute
# VZ SSZ Thunder ute
# VZ SSZ Sedan,
# VZ SSZ Crewman
# 2005/2006 VZ Monaro.......Pontiac GTO in the USA

These larger VZ calipers are commonly referred to as C6 Calipers, as they are the same calipers that were fitted to the C6 Corvette

As per the below pics, the larger calipers have different (offset) mounting hole configurations compared to the standard calipers

Caliper to suit the 320mm rotor......Bolt holes offset to each other
These calipers use a DB7599 brake pad
VZ SS 320mm Caliper.jpg

Caliper to suit the standard 296mm rotor......Bolt holes in line with each other
These calipers use the DB1331 pad size
VZ calipers.jpg

ONROADYNO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
I've only recently purchased all the parts required to convert my VZ 1 Tonner to the larger front brake caliper/rotor setup
What I found while researching this upgrade was that the following models all had 320mm front rotors and the larger PBR calipers from the factory.
# VZ SS Thunder ute
# VZ SSZ Thunder ute
# VZ SSZ Sedan,
# VZ SSZ Crewman
# 2005/2006 VZ Monaro.......Pontiac GTO in the USA

These larger VZ calipers are commonly referred to as C6 Calipers, as they are the same calipers that were fitted to the C6 Corvette

As per the below pics, the larger calipers have different (offset) mounting hole configurations compared to the standard calipers

Caliper to suit the 320mm rotor......Bolt holes offset to each other
These calipers use a DB7599 brake pad
View attachment 212151

Caliper to suit the standard 296mm rotor......Bolt holes in line with each other
These calipers use the DB1331 pad size
View attachment 212153
Thanks Matt
What I am seeming to notice just by photos is the 2006 Thunder had the "silver" calipers and the 2007 Thunder had the C6 calipers. Maybe the last year of the Thunders, like the Z 's had all the parts loaded onto them.
I appreciate your input.