Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlina & Vz Thunder SS Ute
Hi all,

Am looking at buying a 2006 vz Thunder SS ute and upon driving it (brother in laws ute, lost his license) have noticed some noises and vibrations that I have no idea what they could be.

First one is when the ute is in gear and you let the clutch out it will sometimes grind. This doesn't go away when you put the clutch back in, it only stops when you stop the ute from moving at all. (1st & reverse)

Second is a whirring/ whining noise sounds like it's either coming from the box or the rear end. Mainly on the deceleration and when idling along.

Third and final is a vibration that goes through the ute when you up over 60-70+kms.

I do think I've bought a peice of ****. All it's done since owning it is blow bulbs, make noises and shakes and since last night I can't turn on my indicators, but the hazards and lock and unlock indications work

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes sounds like gearbox needs to come out.
As for bulbs make sure you are using good quality like Philips not the usual cheap shiiite most places sell.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Berlina & Vz Thunder SS Ute
gearbox needs a rebuild by the sound of it.
Would that be causing the ute to be fairly gutless? Doesnt seem to want to get up and go until about 3500-4000rpm. My old ls1 was never like this so not sure if its because of the 6 litre or something else.

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
could be a lot of things, im guessing it copped a lot of abuse from its former owner.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Not sure, but I can tell you I have none of these issues in mine. Maybe start small on the box, fresh oil in it and the diff?