Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Ute Safety Mode Fault

Macca 88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Hey all

I've been having issues with my 05 VZ SS. When the car has been driven for an extended period of time or in hot weather the car runs like absolute **** and Safety mode comes up and the car loses most of its power. I've had it in the shop but they say they cant find a fault with it, saying its showing no faults and said to bring it back in when the car is under fault. Personally ide rather not drive it as i don't know what the issue is! I've changed the plugs, Leads but haven't looked at any of the sensors?? Could these be an issue? The car seems to be fine under load but say if im sitting at the lights for a bit it doesn't like it at all when i take off and usually goes into safety mode

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
Not running hot at all, check simple things first, coils, plugs, leads, water and oil levels ESP transmission. My 5.7ltr was running like bag of crap, it ended up being collapsed cats!

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
i have the (check powertrain & svs alarms go off together then it goes into safety limp mode & wont drive,but mine runs rough under acceleration
put your foot down & it splutters & misses,mechanic said it is the coils but i guess it could be any one of these things,
just trial & error till you fix the issue,

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Has anyone had their codes checked with a tech 2???

TONNER_JEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 UTE
The mechanic I went to used a
Snap on ethos unit, don't know the difference, but nob head said it is a auto elec prob not mech he can't help. Gave me the codes and said go and google them.
Yeah thanks..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
I had a similar problem with an old magna we had,would run fine for a while then cut out and not start for a while,then it would be fine again then do the same thing,check codes and nothing came up,did a bit of research on the net and ended up finding someone else who had the same problem,in the end the problem was a faulty ecu,changed it over and never had a problem again,when I pulled the ecu apart I didcovered a break in the train tracks so to speak on the board-may be this

VZ5.7

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV Manual Sedan
Just wondering if you've gotten to the bottom of this problem since first posting here?
My 2005 VZ SS manual has this same problem, the dash alarm sounds then "Reduced Power" "Safety Mode" is displayed and the engine drops back to near-idle. As my car is a manual this leaves me with not even enough power to keep the car moving (perhaps an auto trans would slip enough to allow the car to creep along?) I've had this car for about six months now since trading my 2004 VZ SS manual ute for it in Melbourne. The first time the "Safety Mode" activated was on the drive back to Adelaide at about 20km from home. I had initially blamed water getting in somewhere it shouldn't as it was in torrential rain. The second time was about three months later while towing on a fine day when it happened twice, and recently the problem is happening more and more frequently to the point where it has failed every second drive (over 10km) this past week, twice at traffic lights where I sat there waiting to be able to restart while cars behind got rather pissed-off.
The owners handbook says this mode is due to a fault with the throttle actuator system. I've connected my dads Tech-2 scan tool but the model he has only shows active faults not those stored in the ECUs memory, and of course the system was not in "Safety Mode" at the time.
I'm a motorcycle mechanic myself so am familiar with similar "fly-by-wire" throttle systems on bikes, however we do not use the Tech-2 code readers as the Japanese manufacturers all have their own systems. Money is tight so having a workshop look at it and possible not find the issue, or take a gamble and buy new parts hoping I've assumed right is out of the question at present.
Any help would be great, Thanks.