Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz ssz keeps losing its tune, help!!!

VGV85L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG UTE
Hey guys, i have a 2005 vz ssz 5.7l that seems to keep losing its tune and iam baffled as to what the f#*k is going on! A bit of history, i bought the ute which already had pacemakers, a single 3 inch, growler kit and a bigger cam (specs unkown) and it was very responsive on light throttle, but on full throttle it choked up a bit so i changed the plugs, leads, extractor gaskets, oil, oil filter, fuel filter which ran a bit better but still not perfect so i assumed it was in the tune. So i took it in to the boys at CHE (castle hill exhaust) and had a dual 2.5 inch fitted, a CHE supplied OTR and a custom tune done putting out 269rwkw. Throttle performance wise it was hammering from 3000rpm onwards (after i was educated on driving with a big cam and keeping above 2500rpm) except there were a few hot start stalling and idle stalling issues which i took it back and they re-adjusted for me and it was running awesome for a few weeks, but then those symptoms came back again and this time with some throttle response/choking up issues as well so i took it back again and they did some more adjustments to the tune and it was running pretty sweet again..... for another few weeks and now yet again its started running pretty average. There is no issue with cold, hot or idle stalling, but its a bit spluttery on idle and when i open up the throttle it hesistates before starting to open up like its choking, definatley not that crisp, instant response that it had a few weeks ago and "snap my neck" kick that it had after 3000rpm. And sometimes when iam sitting on idle for a few mins waiting to merge into traffic and then give it a hit it just gurgles and sits in a flat spot for a few seconds before taking off! Its giving me the shits and iam sure the boys at CHE are sick of hearing from me with the same issue again. Is it the tune or is there an underlying problem like an injector, coil, o2 sensor, ecm ect? Theres no codes coming up and the boys at CHE tell me everything is working fine. Has anyone had this type of issue before? Iam out of ideas, any help/advice would be muchly appreciated ☺
Cheers.....
Cam

Last edited:

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Sounds like you have an underlying problem unfortunately you say no codes so i cant help with that but Tunes Don't/Can't change without input from a tuning device such as EFILIVE or HP Tuners.

VGV85L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG UTE
Yeah iam starting to think so, does it sound like an o2 sensor issue? or throttle position sensor?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Its could be an o2 sensor issue. o2 sensors are known for being faulty and still not throwing a code. It may also be time to try a different tuner not the cheapest option but it is possible there is a problem in the tune itself. I'm not bagging CHE either.

2INIL8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH COMMODORE 308
Change the o2 sensors.
Wont be tune related very unlikely.

VGV85L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG UTE
Ok thanxs heaps guys, appreciate it ☺ il change the o2 sensors and if its still there il try autotech see if the can sort it.