Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SSZ - Second Owner issues

Brandoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Hi all, extremely new here!

I'm the (proud) second owner of a damn immaculate 2005 VZ SSZ, having a couple of issues at the moment and hadn't seen any related post's upon a search.

1. The headlight switch; when the headlights are turned on, (with no key inserted into the ignition) it is making the car think that you've inserted and turned the key to the "On" position, as in the fuel pump activates, A/C turns on. And because of this, the fuel gauge alarm also goes off because that particular gauge doesn't move, making the car think it has no fuel etc. Related to this, the Dashlight dimmer switch doesnt work

If it helps to diagnose, it has a tow ball and related tow wiring installed and an aftermarket headunit

2. The fuel gauge seems very erratic and/or inaccurate, overnight, my distance to empty went from 200km to empty all the way down to 10-30km to empty. I know the fuel pump was replaced recently before I bought it + was tuned in order to run a Mafless and exhuast setup, but this was described more so as "tidy up" tune...

Any help would be much appreciated guys, thank you all.

05sszute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ssz commodore ute
Does it have an aftermarket alarm or something? Replace the switch and see if that helps. Stick your head under the dash and see what sort of things the previous owner has done. Ive got extra cable and switches that I have no idea what they are for. Hasnt caused any issues so have just left them.

If you have a ute then that is exactly my experience with fuel. Its a common issue with utes. My gauge doenst move for 200kms then drops to zero over the next 100kms. I can only get 45 to 50 litres of fuel in from a 75 litre tank I thin the utes have. if you are getting to the bottom of the tank then the float may have been bent when reinstalled with the pump.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have a ute then that is exactly my experience with fuel. Its a common issue with utes. My gauge doenst move for 200kms then drops to zero over the next 100kms. I can only get 45 to 50 litres of fuel in from a 75 litre tank I thin the utes have. if you are getting to the bottom of the tank then the float may have been bent when reinstalled with the pump.
have you tried trickle filling? I have the same issue. I thought I only had a 45L tank because it would pour out and even do the same when using a can. I now trickle fill and can fill the tank right up. Only issue is it takes well over 10 mins to fill the tank. People regret lining up behind me when i buy petrol.

Roar99

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ss commodore
Watching post, my vz ss fuel guage does the same erratic from half to low fuel alarm goes off... sedan manual

05sszute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz ssz commodore ute
No I havent. That takes some patience.

One of the common issues ive spoken to.past and present owners is the all over the place gauge. I might rip out the pump and try resetting the float level.

MYVS5LTRUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 Berlina
I had the same issue with the fuel gauge, was doing that for sometime and not long after stopped working.. Was the sender unit in the tank.

Hope you area able to get on top of it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Could it be a faulty bcm?